Chapter 39

My world turns to utter pitch as I venture from the opening. Wart exhales short bursts of flame, and I take in my surroundings in snapshots. The walls of the cave glisten. At first I think it is moisture, but upon closer inspection I realize that it is gemstones embedded into the very earth. My heart flutters at the find, and I claw at them with my one good hand.

A few of these would be enough to feed my family for the rest of their lives. Then I think of Ohna, of Mab. The thought of how impressed they would be urges me past the point of reason.

Unfortunately, my nails are nothing against the rock. My fingertips are shredded for the flash of greed, and I have nothing to show for it save one small, shimmering stone that I have managed to loose. I clench it desperately within my palm before pocketing it and pray that I will live to bring this back to the surface. All the fortunes in the world will mean nothing to me if I don't.

Then, I look for a way.

Wart sniffles at the ground, crunching on rocks as if they are as satisfying as any meal. I shake my head at the bizarre creature and feel my way blindly through the tunnel. I don't particularly want to step into the dark, but it is better than wasting away where I am. I hear Wart's claws scrabble after me. Somewhere there is water dripping.

My other senses are heightened in the absence of sight. I know there is nothing to see, but that doesn't stop me from straining my eyes wider until they ache and water. It is only when I succumb to this fate that I notice the subtle shift of the breeze as it passes along the cavern. I breathe in the crisp air, the faint scent of mildew. It is chilly here, but less harsh than the frozen earth above.

I can feel a pattern in the walls, and I imagine the determined crash of axes that hollowed this place. If it is manmade, then there must be an exit. I just have to keep walking. Occasionally, rocks crumble under my touch, and I shove the pebbles into my pockets, unsure if they are invaluable gems or valueless gravel. In the dark it makes no difference.

It seems as if I am walking a steady incline. The ache in my calves is the only reward I have for how far I have come. I rest, reassured by Wart's familiar form. My pack was left at camp. I wasn't expecting to be gone more than a minute. I wonder if Wart would know how to make it back to the others, if anything should happen to me. I wonder if they are taking care of Tabby.

With no sunlight to mark my hours, I move at my own pace, drifting in and out of sleep with no regard for the time. Occasionally, Wart guides the way with his sporadic flames, but he seems unable to sustain them, and I have no lantern, improvised or otherwise. Everything is inflammable, hardened mineral.

I trail one hand along the wall, reasoning that this will find me out of every dead end, down every possible trail. If there is a way out of here, I will find it. More than anything it is a race against time.

Grimy, sweat-crusted clothes cling to my body. Every spare thought is given to the others. I wonder paltry things, like whether or not they will have brought my satchel. Presently I would give anything for a clean set of clothes.

Did they look for me? Are they still looking? Have they made it to Inte?

Now the movement of air is more noticeable. I walk into the weak wind. It smells different, too. Less stagnant. It could be nothing, but I rush in that direction, all but tripping over Wart in my haste.

When I finally see light, I could cry. I have no idea how many days it has been and, tears or not, my eyes do water at the intensity of it. I have to close them tight, blinking against the sun as it gradually fills the cave.

My wrist is still afire. I have done my best to stabilize it, but the slightest movement paralyzes me with blazing pain. The strip of cloth I have used to fashion a sling has cost me dearly. I am a wild eyed, half dressed madman as I step into the sun.

 I am a wild eyed, half dressed madman as I step into the sun