Chapter 29

Wart's bite is as bad as ever, but I have learned some poultices to help with the pain. At least these days, most of the damage is done to me alone. I catch Mab's wounded eyes from time to time and remind myself that my Incarnate is not the only one who can hurt people. My heart aches for what I have said, the division I have caused... even if I am kind of right.

She avoids me now. Köv seems unsurprised by her mercurial temper, having borne the brunt of it himself. He seems less hostile now, knowing I am no longer a legitimate threat. Still, most communication seems to be passed through Agan, the final neutral party.

Kari leads fearlessly, instructing us when to stop, when to eat, when to rest, and, grateful as I am for the guidance, it is a bit much. So far, we have encountered no danger, and I wonder why she has even bothered to bring us. What does she want in Inte, anyway?

I fish for information from my compatriots, and they all speak of the land with an air of admiration. It is beautiful. It is rich. It is green. So green. My heart blooms at the thought of this fertile motherland.

The others finally seem to understand what it is to be the outsider. They cling together, the last remnants of home. Even Teak seeks out the others from Balai from time to time. I, on the other hand, cannot get enough of the newness. The adventure. It is not nearly as hard for me to forget what we leave behind us.

 It is not nearly as hard for me to forget what we leave behind us

Wart has gotten large enough to hunt for himself. Birds and rodents... Insects. He is not picky, and I am grateful for the relief from being his sole provider. Whenever we break, he scrambles up trees. From time to time, he even taunts Agan's hawk, snatching feathers in his maw, and I struggle not to laugh even as I apologize.

The lone wolf pup is no longer much of a pup. There is no denying that hunting was more effective in a pack, but Grif is a worthy adversary even on his own. Gia, as Mab has come to call her fawn, has grown long-legged and elegant, entirely at home in our surroundings. She shoulders our bundles for now. Before long, Mab hopes to be able to ride her. Thin as she is, she couldn't possibly be much of a burden.

We seem to take to the woods as a second home, our Incarnates adapting more readily to this than the village. It seems to awaken our more primal instincts. I feel a burgeoning sense of comradery for our fellows. Everyone provides what they can, be it experience or more material. Without any one of us, the party would be at risk for failure. As a whole, we are unstoppable.

Kari swaps stories and advice with passing adventurers. We are getting close to a town called Sunia, and we have been assured that its inhabitants are most gracious hosts. Another day of travel, and we should be upon it. My heart feels light at the prospect.

Slowly, barriers are broken. The party makes alliances and friendships indiscriminately. Still, the Balaiins cling to one another. I have learned so much in my time on the road. I fear that they are missing out on invaluable skills. Well, some are admittedly more valuable than others...