Chapter 66

The coronation of our very first female elder is an affair that draws attention from all parts. Rather than leading the people alone, Mab has opted to have a second in command. Köv will stand as her...

"Advisor," she stresses. "Not husband."

I don't know if I imagined it, but I could have sworn I saw Agan smile when the decision was handed down to us.

"Like I would want to marry you, anyway. You are the most pig headed, spoiled, insufferable..."

"What's wrong with pigs?" Teak genuinely wants to know.

"You would be so lucky."

"They are going to do a great job," Ohna determines after the ceremony.

"If they can manage not to kill each other first."

"It's not so uncommon, you know," Ohna adds. "A woman ruler. Sunia is full of them."

The alliance between them, then, made all the more sense.

Mab's first order of business, beyond officially declaring the walls a thing of the past, invited leaders and traders of the surrounding towns to offer their advice. For one, Balai is not in much of a position to refuse. Second, though, I suspect that Mab's travels have opened her eyes to other (dare I say better) ways of life. No one way is truly perfect, but each has its own expertise to offer.

Inte cast spells over the buildings to insulate them from future fiery outbursts. Sunia introduces new crops and the means to grow them (a feat which is increase considerably in speed by our Incarnates). Our understanding of healing was supplemented by their salves and spells. Those reluctant to embrace these new majicks quickly come around when they see how it improves their way of life. 

When it comes time to repay them, Mab finds herself sadly wanting. Our town is in shambles. It is then that Wart decides to embarrass us all by upending the contents of his stomach. His habit of eating everything within sight within Inte is apparently a longstanding dragon instinct. Within his stomach, the rocks have been ground and polished into a highly sought-after gem. Dragon's Breath.

This, I am told, is where the folklore concerning dragon's penchant for hording wealth arises. It is thought, simply, that the rocks help to aid in digestion. Apparently, somewhere along the line, our ancestors determined that dragon vomit is quite valuable. It is kind of... pretty, I suppose. Shiny, anyway.

As thanks, we give our visitors these (thoroughly washed) gems, and let them be on their way. Some decide to stay, of course. And our new, most generous Elder, has nothing against it.

Ohna's parents join us, along with her numerous siblings, but we still find occasion to travel to Sunia often enough. If only to hunt mushroom and lie, sea-drunk on the shore. I have gotten a rather enviable tan.

The trial is held at the week's end, so that all can be in attendance

The trial is held at the week's end, so that all can be in attendance. This time, we have a proper judge and jury. There are no shortage of opinions bandied about by the villagers either. Dager offers his apologies, for whatever that's worth.

Mab is certain that he can be rehabilitated and vouches for his continuing good behavior. I know that I am not the only one with mixed feelings as he is led from the square in one piece. Ohna assures me that these people will not be so easily fooled again. 

A memorial is erected for those lost. Necessary as the reminder may be, I find myself averting my eyes every time I cross its path. My guilt at having left remains. Even if I was too young to have helped. Even if my taking time to grow is what eventually saved us... I hate that these people have suffered without me. 

Mab too shares this feeling.

Her counselors boast an array of ages and experience, and she considers their advice carefully, knowing that they have lived lives and learned things that she could never fathom. It is not her wisdom, but her willingness to empathize and confer with others that makes her a great leader.

I wasn't lying when I said that she was particularly suited for the work. Under her guidance, I think a new sun is rising for Balai.

And with it... Enlightenment.

 Enlightenment