Chapter 49

I have less time to worry about dehydration and starvation that I might liked. It turns out that there are greater threats at play. Threats that shorten my timeline from days to hours.

Despite my desperate circumstances, I do my best to maintain a level head. I have to keep moving. There is no other choice. No other hope. I may not survive, but I cannot let helplessness defeat me. To give up is the only sure way to fail.

I follow the fading starlight until it is swallowed by the sun. The sand heats beneath my feet but still I press forward. No longer do I have the luxury of resting, of pacing myself. Venom courses through me. I have to get to Sunia. To salvation. I have to push myself to my limits. It is my only chance.

Rays beat mercilessly down on my uncovered back and shoulders. My tongue feels thick and uncoordinated in my mouth. I fight wave after wave of nausea, knowing that I cannot afford to lose the nutrients. I drip with sweat (whether from the heat or the fever I no longer try to determine). My mind concentrates on one thing alone: Sunia. 

Conversely, I feel more blind in the daylight without Verios to show me the way. Wart does his best to shelter me from what he can, but he is as useless against the elements as he was against the scorpions. Matters too large and too small. 

I wish I could run, but the sand is unwilling to let me go without a struggle. My feet sink, my weight dragging me deeper. The desert is an unholy siren, clutching its prey. I have to escape in spite of everything within and without urging me to stop. 

How simple it would be to succumb. To lie down and fall into a slumber from which I will never wake. 

Just when I am at my limit, I see Ohna beckoning to me, the paradise of Sunia at her back. I am hallucinating now. Even knowing that I am at my end, it is bliss to see her. Her sweet words are encouragement. She pours cool water onto my tongue

I use my sword as a walking stick just to keep my failing body upright. Eventually, my legs simply refuse to move. I fall, the welcoming earth caressing me. Even as I breathe, it buries me. I close my eyes knowing that at least I tried.

I pray that my warnings will reach Mab in time. I pray that Köv will protect her. I pray that Agan will have the foresight to prepare them. Teak. Enos. Corsa. The twins. Let them be okay. Let them learn to live without me.

 Let them learn to live without me