What Are We Still Doing Here?

-Cleo's Talking Head-

"Right now I'm heading to Rebecca's office to talk to her. I just want to know why I was overlooked for the solo."

-End Of Talking Head-

"Come in," Rebecca calls, answering a knock at her door.

"Hi Rebecca, I had something I wanted to ask you," Cleo says, lingering nervously in the doorway.

"Okay, come sit down." Cleo quickly moves to the seat across from Rebecca.

"I was just wondering why I wasn't considered for the solo."

"Cleo, not all the girls are going to audition. Only three boys are auditioning, so only three girls are as well," Rebecca responds, seeming annoyed.

"I know that, I was just wondering the reason I wasn't picked."

"Honestly Cleo," she puts down her pen to look up at the girl, "you're a good dancer but I had to pick the best. Presley has good technique, Winnie has good facials and she's versatile, and Izzy is a very unique dancer, they have a different style but can still keep up with the routines which sets them apart in a good way. There are a lot of good dancers on this team, I have to nitpick," she says, tone softening.

"Okay, thank you," Cleo hurries out of the office.

-Cleo's Talking Head-

"I understand Rebecca had to make the decision of who to pick but it does hurt to know I'm not one of the best dancers. Or in her eyes, not even a great dancer."

-End Of Talking Head-

Cleo walks into the studio beginning to warm up. Grace, Ethan, and Maya are already there. Shortly, the rest of the team arrives.

"Hey, what did you have to do earlier?" Jude asks Cleo, coming to sit next to her. She's referring to Cleo not being able to meet her in The Next Steep before rehearsal.

"Oh I just went to talk to Rebecca." It's only now Jude notices how down Cleo looks.

"Is something wrong?" She asks, concerned for her girlfriend.

"Are you...at all bothered that you weren't considered for the solo?" Cleo asks, pausing a moment to think of her words.

"No, is that what you're worried about?" Cleo just shrugs. "Well don't be, we're still going to Nationals, and we could be in other dances. Plus, we already have alternates so it's guaranteed we'll be in the group dance," she smiles, but it falters a little during the last sentence.

"I guess you're right," Cleo says, smiling back at her.

"Of course I'm right," Jude declares, lightly nudging Cleo with her elbow.

"All right A troupe. Time to start rehearsal." Rebecca walks in.

It still feels strange to the dancers to be called A troupe, but Rebecca insists since they're the competitive troupe now. It would only be confusing to continue calling them B troupe.

They start rehearsal on the ten person dance.

Kenzie dances in the lit up space of studio 1, practicing a new solo.

-Kenzie's Talking Head-

"Right now I'm just practicing some new moves. Just because I'm not competing anymore, doesn't mean I can let my dancing get worse. If anything, it just means I have to work harder. After all, I still want to go to nationals and if I get the chance, different studio or not, I'm taking it."

-End Of Talking Head-

Summer enters Studio 1.

"Hey Kenzie what's up?" Summer asks, as the out of breath girl digs her water bottle out of her bag.

"Nothing much just practicing some new choreo. How about you?" Kenzie smiles as Summer comes to sit next to her.

"I'm not doing much either. I was actually wondering what you were thinking of doing now that we can't go to Nationals," Summer fidgets with her hands.

"I'm really not sure. I was just thinking whatever opportunity arises, or whatever opportunity I come across, I should take. How about you?" Kenzie responds confidently, as sure of herself as always. 

Summer who had been having similar feelings feels relieved to hear Kenzie sharing them. "I was thinking along the same lines. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. After all, what's really keeping us here anymore," Summer gazes around at the studio.

-Summer's Talking Head-

"I feel strange when I think about leaving the Next Step. I know I haven't been here as long as a lot of the others, but it really has started to feel like home. Though, things are changing now that we aren't A troupe, I still want to make sure I'm not the only one thinking of leaving this place. Leaving these people behind will never be easy, though it might be a little easier if I'm not the only one."

-End Of Talking Head-

"True, I mean most people here have enough relationships, romantic or otherwise, to keep them holding on, but when I think about it I can keep in contact with friends after I leave and now we aren't going to Nationals anymore it feels pointless to waste ourselves here any longer," Kenzie rants, feeling relieved to have someone to share her feelings with.

-Kenzie's Talking Head-

"I feel immensely relieved when I find out Summer feels the same way I do. It makes me feel better about how I've been thinking. Honestly, with Richelle possibly leaving, I don't have too many close friends left at the studio, so I don't feel so terrible about thinking of leaving."

-End Of Talking Head-

The two girls leave the studio. Summer stopping to glance around the studio before walking out.

-Summer's Talking Head-

"Could I really leave the next step?"

-End Of Talking Head-