1- warm glow

enjoy babes :))))

Rowan

Today is the day

I thought to myself as I looked blankly into my bathroom mirror for the very last time. Looking back at me was a young girl who was lost. Within my eyes I saw only a sense of longing. My mother passed away about two months ago in a car accident on her way to pick me up from one of my piano lessons. I saw myself as a contributing factor but I didn't fully blame myself. I was stubborn and needy but a drunk driver was ultimately the reason for it all. I flashed myself a weak smile into the mirror before making my way back to my bare bedroom to collect the last of my belongings to load into the truck.

"Ro! It's time to leave." my father shouted up to my bedroom window from outside as he loaded his last bag into the truck bed with a grunt.

"'Kay dad, I'll be down in a sec!" I replied hastily, grabbing my drawstring bag that held my snacks and earbuds for the 15+ hour car ride. Michigan was far, but after some convincing from my dad (and a promise that I could get a decent piano for the house once we moved in), I agreed that a fresh start was important for us. I had two friends at home in Florida, Chloe and Magnolia, whom I was absolutely devistated to leave. Upon making that observation dad decided to get me a phone of my own so I could call and Facetime them whenever I wanted. That helped slightly but it was still really difficult to part ways with them.

You're probably wondering why the hell my dad chose Michigan of all places to start anew. Well, the answer to that is that my uncle Alec works for a finance company there up north and proposed that my father took a position they were offering him. Supposedly my parents had been talking about the opportunity before my mom died but after the accident took place, his decision was made. He wanted to get the hell away from the memories and do it as quickly as possible. A part of me couldn't blame him for it either.

I made my way down the stairs of the white porch, taking my old polaroid camera out of my bag and quickly snapping a picture of the house; sunlight was pouring through the trees at all angles, making it look as if angels were drifting down to clothe it's painted wooden exterior.

Putting my camera back into my drawstring bag, I slung it over my back and hopped into the passenger seat of the truck next to my dad. The engine roared to life and my dad grunted in annoyance. He hated the noisy truck, he only kept it around because mom was in love with it. I begged him to give it to me for my next birthday and I think the more he drives it the more he starts to like the idea.

The beginning of the drive is nice, we make our way through Alabama and Tennessee like it's a breeze. Not long after we start to get near the Kentucky state border I decide to plug my earbuds into my phone and turn on some music. I'm normally into more classic rock and blues stuff. I hum to the the calming tune of my playlist for what seems like forever before finally drifting asleep, my head laying against the window with my light blue blanket resting on top of my legs.

///////////////

I open my eyes abruptly after the old truck jerks to a stop, giving my father a slight look of annoyance as he chuckles to himself. Our relationship was very calm, we both often looked for the humor in all situations which was helpful considering the current circumstances but it was also problematic because it led to ignoring our problems sometimes.

"Well Ro," he said pointing forewards to the house, "This is it." It was amazing, it was average sized and a beautiful shade of light brown.

"Wow," I sighed as a smile krept onto my face. It was beautiful. Not in the conventional, modern, sleek way but in the delicate, simple, ethereal way. I was in love with it and I know my mom absolutely would have been too. The thought made my eyes start to well up with small tears, but I quickly blinked them away. I didn't want my father to see me cry; he's not good at handling sadness and definately not good at consoling emotional teenage girls. He tried his best but it was generally easier to avoid the awkward encounters.