8- love grows

Rowan

"It's okay." I said somewhat snappily. I didn't want to sound rude by any means, I was just absolutely terrified. I remained wrapped around him as he approached the shallow water. He held on to my waist tightly but his hands lingered gently. It was as if he worried I could break at any second.

"Do you want to get out, Ro?" he questioned softly as we stood still in the shallow water.

"No it's okay," I said quietly, "I think i'll just go sit on the bank." I added, slowly loosening my grip on him. I didn't want to let go, I felt so comfortable with him.

He held my waist firmly as I lowered myself into the water, waiting for my feet to touch the bottom. Once they reached the soft sand, I looked up to him. His hands still held onto me.

"Thank you Sam, I'm sorry, really. I should ha-" I started, looking into his eyes contently,

"No, Ro. It's okay, you didn't do anything wrong. I should have been more careful" He said with a sigh. His eyes showed concern, he looked kind of upset, but I didn't understand why. He needed to lighten up.

I smiled at him and grabbed his hand quickly, dragging him over to the edge of the water. He gave me a confused look as a smile crept onto his face too. The sky had become somewhat gloomy and the temperature seemed to have dropped a little bit, but it was still warm nevertheless. The other boys continued to splash around under the waterfall, yelling at each other and playing random games. I was glad Danny was there, he seemed like he'd definitely be the mediator if any real arguments broke out which eased my mind.

"What are we doing?" Sam questioned, looking over at me with a look of curiosity as we stopped at the bank.

"We're gonna dance, of course." I smiled and shrugged, awaiting his response. He laughed at me and smiled, as if he thought I was crazy.

"Okay Ro, but only if I can pick the song." He added with a smirk.

"Okay, deal!" I said with a giggle, holding out my hand for a hand shake. He did the same, holding out his hand and grasping mine softly. After stubbornly removing my hand from his, he reached for his phone to select a song. He smiled down at the screen contently before sitting the tiny phone on a nearby rock.

"Would you like to dance, M'lady?" he asked with a bow, grabbing my hand as the song began.

"I'd be delighted." I responded with a goofy grin. Sam pulled me towards him, my hand still firmly interlocked with his. The song began as he started to sway with me side to side,

She ain't got no money
her clothes are kinda funny
her hair is kinda wild and free

He picked up the pace as the song continued. His smile was absolutely contagious, I couldn't help but return it. He moved his hands down to my waist as mine rested on his shoulders.

She talks kinda lazy
and people say she's crazy
and her life's a mystery

Sam looked at me and pulled one of my hands from his neck, interlocking my fingers with his own. I gave him a confused look and he grinned at me before lifting our hands up into the air. I didn't want to sound stupid but I had absolutely no idea what he was doing.

"M'lady," he laughed, "This is the part where you spin." My cheeks turned red and I felt stupid to say the least but I obliged. I spun around a couple of times, laughing my worries away. As my spinning came to an end, I crashed into him dizzily.

She's really got a magical spell
and it's working so well
that I can't get away

Sam held onto me tightly to make sure I was secure.
I smiled up at him as he pulled me closer, wrapping me into a hug whilst continuing to sway to the beat. I laid my head on his shoulder as we continued lazily dancing. Sam started to sing to me quietly as the song went on,

I'm a lucky fella
and I've just got to tell her
that I love her endlessly
oh but love grows
where my Rosemary goes
and nobody knows like me

He sang beautifully, it made me wonder why he played the bass instead of singing. I felt like it wasn't real, like it was too good to be true. I'd never hugged, kissed, or even dated a guy. Yet, here I was, with one of the most genuine friends i'd ever had, slow dancing to Love Grows by Edison Lighthouse. Even if he didn't want to be, I knew he'd be my best friend one day, whether I was his too or not.

The song came to an end and we both remained there, before pulling away from each other and smiling.

"You're a pretty good dancer, Ro." He said with a laugh. I could tell he was being a little sarcastic.

"I wish I could say the same for you. Your moves are a little rough, but we can work on it." I said playfully, nudging his shoulder. He rolled his eyes and started walking as I followed him.

We both sat down right next to each other on a rock near the water, watching the other guys swim around. He should be out there hanging out with them. Maybe he felt like he had to stay with me after what happened.

"I'm sorry I kind of messed up your fun." I said after a moment of silence, looking up to Sam apologetically. He looked confused at what i'd said.

"You didn't mess anything up, Ro." he said after a moment of thought. I nodded quietly and smiled as he pulled a piece of damp hair out of my face and gently tucked it behind my ear.

"Thank you, Sammy." I said with a smile as my cheeks burned red.

"Anything for you, m'lady." he said with a goofy grin, retracting his hand hesitantly.

"I'm really glad you're here, Ro." he added,

"I think y-" he started to say, but he was cut off by a grumble of thunder.

"Is that?" I started to say,

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's about to rain." Sam mumbled, looking up to the sky.

Just as he finished talking, we could hear Josh running up to us, Jake and Danny not far behind him.

"Okay, love birds," Josh said quickly, "I suggest we head to the car before it starts pouring." and with perfect timing, drops of water started to fire rapidly out of the sky, giving us no time to waste.

"Come on," Sam said quickly as the other three started to run.

"Okay, one sec," I replied, quickly scooping up my clothes from the rock.

"Here, Ro. Take this." Sam said, quickly grabbing his windbreaker and wrapping it around my much smaller frame. It was big on me but I was very grateful.

"Thank you, Sammy," I smiled "Now, we must get going before I melt." He laughed and grabbed my hand,

"Yes, m'lady, that we must." He replied with a goofy smile as we ran down the wooded trail, our fingers still intertwined.