19- we're going to be friends

Rowan

It had been about a week since my birthday, and I'd never been happier. Sam and I spent even more time together, and it was amazing. We weren't official, there was no label on what we were, and I kind of liked it that way. It was obvious that neither of us wanted anyone else; we were committed to eachother, but without the labels and public expectations of it all.

Tomorrow was the first day of school, and I still didn't know anyone other than Sammy, Danny, and Ronnie. I just hoped that I would have classes with them, or at least a few anyway. I was ecstatic, but also nervous as hell. My goal was to make as many friends as I could. I wanted to fit in with everyone, and knowing the boys and Ronnie, they would already have no problem in that department considering how likable they are.

Sam and I spent the night playing twister with the rest of the family, which definitely helped ease some of the nerves that I had. He knew I was nervous, but he also knew that talking about it would make it even worse, so he tried to help distract me instead, and for that I was grateful.

The next morning, I woke up pretty early. I was eager to get ready. Sam was going to give me a ride to school since I was nervous, but I wouldn't have minded taking the old truck; that bad boy was probably my most prized possession.

I ended up settling on a pair light wash jean shorts that I paired with a white baby tee I found at goodwill and a pair of black converse. It was pretty standard for me, but I've always been pretty simple with my style. I'd love to try new stuff, but i'm kinda scared of change.

Around 7:45, Sam texted me, telling me to come out, so I scurried to grab my small tote bag with my books and pencils in it. When I made it outside, I locked the door and turned around to see Sammy there, standing against the side of his car on the road in front of my house. He looked adorable. His hair was a little messy, and the morning wind blew it around his face. He smiled and looked up to me with a wave. I smiled back, hopping down the porch stairs and running to his car.

I quickly climbed into the passenger seat and bucked my seatbelt; Sam followed suit.

"Hi, Ro." Sam smiled, adjusting his mirrors and starting the car.

"Hey, Sammy." I replied, fixing my hair in the mirror of the car. I felt like I already looked like a mess and the day hadn't even begun.

"You look good- I mean- your hair is okay. Don't overthink it." He reassured me, knowing what I was already thinking. It was crazy to have someone who just understood you like that. It was rare.

It only took a about 5 minutes for us to arrive at the high school. The parking lot had many cars, students standing outside of them and chatting away. It was obvious that there were already cliques just by the parking lot. The jocks had the best spots up front, and though it was a small town with few people, let alone options for car dealerships, they had the nicest cars by far. The cheerleaders and general popular girls were right behind them, and so on and so fourth. The hierarchy of the high school was oozing, and I already knew it was scary.

Sam pulled into a spot on the side of the school, not too far away but not right up there.

"Ready?" Sam questioned, turning the radio down and unlocking the doors.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I chucked, wondering how it was going to go. I'd never say it out loud, but I was shitting bricks. Like that feeling when you get the nervous farts like and it's like you have a bubble machine stuck in your stomach? Okay, i'm sorry, That was TMI.

Sam and I got out of the car, grabbing our things before shutting the doors and locking them behind us.

The school had mailed me my schedule, as well as my locker number and combination. Sadly, it wasn't near Sam, Danny, or Ronnie, so for the beginning of the day I'd be on my own. Luckily I had the same lunch period as Ronnie, and I had visual media, AP world history, and AP Literature and honors chemistry with Sam. Having 4/8 periods with someone I already know sounds okay to me.