7- out of my league

Rowan

"Rowan..."
Ro, wake up."

I awoke with a jolt, the one and only Sam Kiszka rubbing my arm in hopes to pull me out of my sleep. My cheeks were flushed red in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry, Sammy." I said quickly, lifting my head off of his shoulder. I didn't realize I was that tired.

"It's all good." he said with a smile, "Ready to walk until your legs become Jell-O?" he asked, laughing at my zombie like state as I made my way out of the car. The other three boys had gotten out of the car to gather their things while Sammy dealt with the task of waking me up. I felt kinda bad.

"You better hope I'm ready to walk because if these bad boys give out," I said jokingly, gesturing to my short legs, "one of you boys better know how to give a gnarly piggy-back ride."

"Don't worry mama, I've got you." Josh said, giving me a playful side hug, before looking at Sam who was giving him the side-eye.

"And if not," he added, "I'm sure Sammy boy here would be more than willing." Sam flushed red and Josh gave Sam a pat on the back before closing the trunk and signaling for all of us to follow him to the trail.

Jake walked next to Josh, talking about random things as they went. Sammy, Danny, and I trailed a couple of feet behind the twins as we all headed over to the wooded area. Sam's outfit was interesting to say the least, he wore a white tank top with a grey pair of shorts that were... rather short. He also wore a light windbreaker tied up around his hips and a pair of black Birkenstocks.

The sun wasn't particularly bright, the clouds covered it for the most part, but it wasn't cold out by any means. Kind of humid, really.

"Up here there's a waterfall. It's Sam and I's favorite place to swim. It's absolutely fantasmagorical." Josh said excitedly, not a hint of humor or irony in his voice, looking back at me with excitement. God, he's something else, that's for sure.

"Yes... whatever Josh said." Jake added with a tone of fake concern in his voice. Sam and Danny laughed lightly, looking over to the twins.

"Hmm, I think it sounds amazing." I said with a shrug, smiling. I couldn't believe I had friends like this. I loved adventure and they seemed to as well; it was perfect.

"Trust me," Sam added, nudging my shoulder playfully as we continued walking. "You'll love it."

I looked down at my feet as I walked with the boys, kicking rocks and carefully listening to their conversations. Danny and Sam had been talking about how much they were "digging" a new guitar riff that Jake had played for them the day prior at practice. They planned on using it for a new song that was in the works. I really wanted to hear them play at some point, but I was too scared to ask.

"Woah," Danny gasped as Sam tapped on my shoulder at the same time, pointing for me to look ahead.

"Yeah." I said, almost in a whisper, "Woah."

"Do y-" Sammy started to say before Josh cut him off,

"Jake and I are going in!" Josh shouted with a gleaming smile before they both threw their shirts off and ran as fast as they could. I had to admit, for being kinda short boys they were pretty fast. I nodded at the boys as they went before turning back to Sam with curiosity. I wanted to know what he was going to say.

"I was going to ask if you liked it." Sam said with a shrug before leaving us and walking towards the water quietly. He seemed upset, but I couldn't really tell why.

My face sunk as Danny and I followed now all three of the boys. I wondered if Sam was upset with me. I thought he was happy and I really wanted him to be but I guess I was just assuming things.