3- landslide

Rowan

Lunch with the Kiszkas was generally civil. I mainly talked to Josh and Ronnie, trying to avoid Sam. Every time he glared at me I could feel his eyes burning into the back of my skull. Josh and I talked about our taste in music. We both went on and on about how much we love John Denver, Fleet Foxes, etc. as the others talked to eachother about what was going on with them. Sam didn't talk much at all, only looking up to engage in conversation when he heard his parents mention stuff that involves him.

By the time we finished, I managed to get by with only making eye contact with Sam twice; sadly both times he looked annoyed with me and I still couldn't figure out why. A part of me wanted to hang out with Ronnie after lunch but before I could ask her if she wanted to do anything she mentioned that she had soccer practice in an hour. She told me about her club team and really seemed to love it.

Shortly after everyone started migrating away from the table, Ronnie made her way upstairs to get ready for practice. She's older than me but not by a lot. I'm sixteen and she's eighteen. I'm pretty sure Sam is seventeen but we're in the same grade, and I think Ronnie said Jake and Josh just recently turned nineteen and graduated this past spring. After a moment, I decided that I should go offer to help Karen with the dishes. She's incredibly kind and caring. It makes me miss my mom.

"Hey," I said softly, making my way over to the counter, "Can I help you out?" I smiled at her.

"Of course darling, thank you!" she said sweetly, handing me a rag to dry some of the dishes with so the process would go more quickly.

"You seem to be getting along with all of the kids pretty well." she said simply, a tone of curiosity in her voice.

"I really like them a lot, you've raised some pretty cool kids." I say, trying to somewhat alter the track of the conversation. She just gave me a hum in response. I could tell she was wondering what was going on with Sam. I'd have loved to tell her if I even knew for myself. I decided since it was already somewhat relevant to the conversation, I might as well say something.

"Sam.." I said quietly, taking a moment to think of what to say next, "I don't think he likes me very much. I kind of wish I understood what I did wrong." I muttered, looking over at Karen. I was vulnerable and she made me feel like it was okay to bed. She gave me a motherly smile and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. She could tell it was really getting to me.

"Darling," she said, "I don't know why he's acting that way either, you've only just met and I dont think you've done anything to upset him." I nodded as she let out a short sigh, turning around to continue working on the dishes, prompting me to do the same. Once most of them were finished, Karen spoke again,

"Maybe you should talk to him? Try to start over." she sugguested kindly before making her way to the living room, signaling for me to follow her in. Once we got there I saw my father sitting with Kelly on the dark brown couch and talking about what seemed to be something music related. It made me happy to see him making a friend so soon; I wanted nothing more than for him to find happiness.

I smiled at my dad and walked over to sit next to him as Karen made her way over to the other end of the couch to sit with Kelly. They all talked for a while and I was honestly getting bored of it but I had no idea where Jake and Josh were. That was until Josh came into the house through the front door cheerily and made his way into the living room.

"Hi, everyone." he said with a grin waving. I waved back giggling; god he made me blush too much. Snap out of it, he's too old for you! I scolded myself internally.

"So..." he continued, "Mr. Ellis, I was wondering if Rowan could come hiking with Jake, Sam, our friend Danny, and I on monday? It's supposed to be really nice and we figure it could be fun for her to get out. Ronnie was gonna come too but she has a club tournament for soccer all day." he finished with a shrug. I gave my dad an expectant look as he pretended to be torn as to whether he should let me go or not.

"Hmmm, yes thats fine." he said finally, as if he hadn't already decided it the moment Josh proposed. I knew my dad wanted me to make as many friends as I could and for that I was extremely grateful. I shot Josh a kind smile,

"I'll see you monday then," he said, tapping me on she shoulder,

"Wouldn't miss it, Joshy." I replied with a grin.

"Oh, and be here around eight in the morning, it's gonna be a long one. Also, make sure to have a swimsuit." he chuckled, turning around and making his way upstairs to his room. I was kind of flustered, mainly because no guys have ever wanted to be my friend. Back in Florida I didn't have that many friends and the ones I did have were girls. I was excited to have at least a couple of people here.

About twenty or so minutes later, my father and I said our goodbyes to Kelly and Karen. It was already four o'clock, it had gotten kind of late considering it was only lunch. I made sure to give Karen a big hug and thank her for everything, including the advice, before we made our way out. As we started the short trek over to our house, my dad spoke:

"See, it was great spending time with them Ro. I don't know what you were all worked up about." I just agreed and nodded before making my way into the house. I carefully took my shoes off and headed up to my room. I slowly made my way over to my closet to grab some pajamas to change into, considering I had nowhere else to go for the day. After doing so, I walked to my small shelf next to the bathroom, grabbing two towels and heading into the bathroom to take a shower.

Once I was done, I changed into my pajama set and brushed my teeth. Before my mother passed, she had bought me this Fleetwood Mac record I'd been wanting. I was so grateful for her. At times it was almost like she was the only person who truly understood me; my passions, my dreams, my goals. I would give anything to have been able to hug her one more time. I grabbed the untouched record out from the bottom level of my bookshelf, taking it out of it's sleeve and setting it gently onto my record player that laid on the end table next to my bay window. After grabbing my copy of Jane Eyre, I headed back to the window, sitting down with my favorite light blue blanket before gently lowering the needle, allowing the beautiful tune to fill the air.

I tried to get some reading done but I failed miserably. Landslide started to play and it reminded me of her so much. I recalled her singing it to me as we drove through town in the old truck. I'd do anything to hear her sing one more time. Another sob escaped as I propped my knees up on the window next to me, laying my face into them. I hadn't cried since we left Florida so it was bound to happen, I just wish I could have held it off longer.

My mascara stained my white pajamas as I finally laid my head back against the window sill in defeat. The silence was nice.

*CLINK*

*CLINK*

*CLINK*

"What the hell!" I yelled in annoyance. I looked through the window and to my surprise I saw the one and only Sam Kiszka; his window open, throwing stupid little marbles at mine to get my attention. I mean it worked I guess. I quickly wiped my eyes and unlocked my window before opening it.

"Hey." he said instantly after the window cracked open. "You know you look like a raccoon right?"