18- light my love

Rowan

Early saturday morning the boys left, making their way to Detroit. I knew how excited they were, and I was excited for them too. I woke up early to text them good luck in our groupchat.

Good luck boys, you're gonna kill it :)

Joshua🔆🎤
Thank you Rowan, we love ya!"

Jacob🎸✨
Wish u were here, Ro. Don't party too hard without us.

Danny🥁⚡️
Thanks! We'll tell you all about it tomorrow!

They all responded quickly, well all of them did but Sam. Maybe he felt guilty and that's why he didn't wanna answer? I tried to come up with excuses but they all could have been equally wrong.

My dad and I planned out a fun day. We decided to go out downtown to the record store and the book store to get some new stuff, and then we were going to get chinese takeout and watch a couple of our favorite movies. I did miss the boys, but it was nice to spend time with my dad. He'd been so busy since we got to Frankenmuth, it was nice to finally spend quality time together.

He ended up getting me a new piano that i'd been hoping for. I was so grateful, and kind of in shock. He cared about my passions, and it meant the world to me. We decided to put it in the music room and then we ordered some pizza to celebrate.

"So..." my dad began as we sat down to eat dinner, "Why didn't you want to go watch the boys in Detroit today? I know how much you love seeing them perform. And it's your birthday, I can't imagine why you'd pass it up." He questioned, grabbing a slice of pizza from the box and taking a bite.

"A couple of reasons I guess," I began with a shrug, "I wanted to spend it with you. It's the first birthday celebration we've had since mom passed away. I couldn't leave you alone." he hummed in response. I could tell he was deep in thought.

"You're the best daughter I could ask for, Rowan. I hope you know that; but spill. Why else didn't you go?" He added , giving me the "dads know all" smirk.

"Ugh...." I grumbled. He was right, "Well, Sam was the only one I told about my birthday, and a couple weeks ago he planned a movie night for us. Anyway, he forgot my birthday was today. It's not a big deal but I don't know... I just thought he wouldn't forget."  I shrugged, grabbing a piece of pizza for myself.

"it is a big deal." My dad sighed, "You care about that boy a lot, don't you?" He asked, giving me the smirk again.

"I really do, Dad." I said with a groan, "and I don't know what to do."

"What do you mean?" He questioned, taking a drink of his water.

"I kind of friend-zoned him because I was scared that if we dated and something went wrong it would ruin our friendship, but I don't know how much longer I can keep it that way. I care about him so much. He's my best friend." I whispered, my voice starting to crack. I felt bad that my Dad had to see me like this.

"Ro... I don't want to pressure you or anything, but you know Mom sure as hell wouldn't want you living like this. She would want you to go for it. If you care about him that much and he cares about you, it's meant to be." He smiled, grabbing my hand from across the table. He always knew that to say, and he was right. My mom was always about living in the moment, and grabbing life by its collar.