Chapter 16

"Yes!" Yuta's sudden yelp of joy awoke Greg. "It's about fucking time!"

Greg rubbed the sleep from his eye. "What the hell, Yuta. What's the time?"

"Six o'clock, on the dot!"

"What's gotten you so riled up at six in the morning."

"I got the Warrior job! My Lance is locked and loaded!"

"Did you sleep at all?"

"Not a wink!" Yuta replied as she summoned her wings and spread her arms. "Ready?"

"Of course I am. I've got nowhere else to go."

...

Yuta and Greg soared through the sky as they made their way towards Utah – the name reminded Yuta of something, but she couldn't put a finger on it. She was leaving from California which meant it'd take at least an hour and a half to arrive at their destination. The pair shared a bit of banter before they left, about how Yuta should carry Greg where they're both comfortable. He was fine being carried like he usually did, arms around her neck and legs hooked around hers. Yuta pointed out he'd feel strained like their long trip to New Zealand, and insisted she carried him in her arms – plus she didn't want him to fall and crumble from ground impact, she wouldn't be able to live with herself.

So here Greg was, being cradled under his back and knees with his arms wrapped around Yuta's neck, as they made it halfway to their destination. No words were spoken between them, as they took in their surroundings. Greg still felt tired from Yuta waking him up early, as his eyes and arms began to sag. He was now glad Yuta convinced him to be carried like this, otherwise he would have definitely fallen. He lent the side of his face on her shoulder, as his eyes began to droop. He swore he felt Yuta tug him a bit closer to herself.

When Greg's eyes fluttered open, he was met with reds and oranges. Once his eyes refocused, he realised they were settled in a small opening of an orange mountain. The view was met with red soil covered with spots of green, with uniquely shaped rocks and hills – one of them was even shaped in an arch. Yuta laid on her stomach beside him, her wings exposed as one of them draped over his body. He also noticed her arm settled around his shoulders, he couldn't fight the blush on his cheeks as he smiled fondly.

"Morning sleepyhead." Yuta faced Greg, half her face pressed against the shivering ground.

"Morning, sleep-deprived angel."

Yuta huffed amusingly, as she sat up – that unfortunately meant her wing and arm retracted from Greg.

"But seriously, you should really sleep before doing this job. What's another day?" Greg tried to convince Yuta.

Sadly, it didn't work. "Another day, another opportunity for the Negative Emotion to kill more people."

"No use trying to kill it in the state you're in now, it'll kill you."

"That's okay. Death isn't really a scary concept for me. Its more for other people, you know?"

'Well, it is to me.' Greg instantly replied mentally, but refrained blurting it out. "But I care about you, I don't want you to leave so soon. We only just met."

"It's nearly been two months?"

"Not a lot of time, if you think about it."

Yuta hummed to herself. "I guess. Really depends who you ask though, right?"

Greg nodded, as he stood up. "Stay safe, alright?"

"Please, I'll be fine." Yuta scoffed playfully, throwing a weak arm around.