chapter six

My father used to tell me stories about far off places where princes would save princesses, and they'd live happily ever after. As a child, that was something I dreamed of when I grew older. Looking back now, I see I was naive for believing that fairy tales can happen in real life. They don't happen when your relationship isn't allowed to be public.

People don't know the story of a prince who loans his jacket to someone two years younger than him. How she climbs down a tree for secret greetings, but he scales it for the same reason. How he was able to see past the image given to her, and she saw past his looks.

There isn't an official villain in the story. Just obstacles. Side characters.

The plot is undecided.

They steal secret glances. Fill the room with hushed whispers. They hide away from the orphan's brother, the guard. His gaze is stern as he watches her every move. Dictates her every word. If he had it his way, she'd be with the charming rogue. Despite all this, he isn't a villain.

The charming rogue is the reason she learned to climb up and down the tree. The one everyone pictured her with. Sometimes she fooled herself into believing their words. This was before the prince. She felt like the charming rogue understood her when others couldn't.

Except for the hot harlot.

She had a backbone the orphan didn't. She wasn't afraid to say no. Men adored her, and women wanted to be her. There were times when the orphan envied her, wishing to be her.

Though, the hot harlot and charming rogue didn't know of the relationship between the prince and the orphan. Nor did they know of the story and their role.

No one but the prince and orphan knew.

"What's going on in your mind? You've tripped at least three times now."

I look up at Kandi from my mind's wandering. I nearly trip again. I glance to my feet, but my shoes are tied, and there's nothing around for me to stumble against. The only thing I could trip on is the air, Kandi, and me. All three of these options are valid.

"I was thinking about what Kelly said today in English. Her interpretation was strange."

"I guess," Kandi says, shrugging. The two of us walk faster near the gym teacher, so we don't get scolded. Some run. Some jog. Some walk. As long as we make laps around the gym floor, I don't see the harm in how we do it. "But it's not something to be so deep in thought of. I've learned not to put thought to stupid comments."

"Nothing is wrong in literature as long as you have evidence to support your reasoning."

I can't believe I'm actually bringing up a comment I ignored earlier.

"Real funny, smart ass," Kandi grumbles. The two are scolded for walking their laps. She watches as Kandi rolls her eyes before quickening her pace to a jog instead. Alex is forced to meet her pace to continue their conversation. "You forget interpretations mean shit when it's multiple choice."

"Multiple choice in English is stupid anyway."

Multiple choice in literature completely defeats the purpose of your understanding. It doesn't matter what your view is if it doesn't match what was in the creator's mind when it was being designed. If they don't match, your view is wrong. At least with written responses, there's more hope.

Kandi seems to agree. I can tell she's focusing on her breathing as her eyes are darted in front of her. I've never been made for this. I'm not a long distance runner.

"I don't think your father likes me. He thinks I'm a bad influence. If anything, you're a bad influence on me."

Kandi stops at the stage. Her water bottle is in hand, but she stares at me like my words aren't in English. It grows hard to breathe, so I rest my hands on the top of my head. She takes a long drink before setting it back down, tossing mine my way to remind me to hydrate.

"I can't say anything against that," she sighs. She turns away from me, looking back for a split second before taking off into a jog again. I groan, forcing my feet to move forward. "I don't think he likes a lot of people. Hell, he only acts nice to Vylad and I to please mom."

My ponytail swings back and forth on the back of my head. My feet bounce off the floor and into the air. My lungs burn from the dry gym air. I want to run into the girl's locker room and hide.

"I don't know why. My father thinks I'm innocent."

She stifles a chuckle through ragged breathing. "Innocent isn't sneaking behind his back."

My heart nearly stops beating at the thought that Kandi knows and this is her way of telling me. I couldn't be caught, could I? Certainly, she's talking about something else.

"With Vylad? I know you sneak out with him. You've told me before. Don't act so surprised."

Relief floods me. She doesn't know.

I'm safe.

We're safe.