flames

A blur of flashing colors, bright lights, and the feeling of a bucket of ice water washing over him. George finds himself standing in front of the bathroom mirror. The bathroom furthest away from where Sapnap and Dream reside.

His hands shake profusely, though all he can hear is white noise. George turns away from the mirror and sits down on the floor. His tailbone protests from the hardness of the floor. He doesn't get up.

He places his head onto his tucked knees. 'I'm so sorry, Dream.'

———

Dream sobs embarrasingly into Sapnap's chest. An ache in his chest seems to be drowning out any other feelings. "Oh, Dream. What are we going to do with you?" Sapnap murmurs quietly.

"Sorry-," Dream begins. "I'm not mad at you. It's not your fault." Sapnap quiets him. Silence follows. Awkward silence.

"Why did George leave? I didn't mean to hurt him." Dream, sick of the silence, finally asks.

Sapnap gives his answer, "I don't know, Dream. I think he's worried, just like I am." Obviously not the right thing to say. Dream sobs again.

Sapnap rubs his hand up and down Dream's back. "Let's go inside, yeah?" He asks finally. Dream nods his head.

Sapnap helps Dream up and guides him all the way to his and George's shared room. Sapnap leads him over to the bed.

"Lie down for a little while, okay? I'll go talk to George. Everything will work out fine."

Dream snuffles. 'I was just laying down a little bit ago.' A voice in his head thinks. He chooses not to voice it and instead says, "Okay."

Sapnap walks out the room, shutting the door closed behind him.

———

'If I was George, where would I go?' Sapnap questions to himself. He wanders through the quiet house, looking for the shorter man.

He reaches the only room he hasn't checked. A bathroom, the one he doesn't really ever use. He grips the door handle and pushes the door open. A small "George?" parts through his lips.

A sight to see, the man is. George is sitting on the ground directly in Sapnap's line of sight. His shoulders tremble with dry sobs, though no sound is heard. Sapnap can't see his face, but if he could he knew it would be miserable.

He seemed to be turning in on himself, trying to hide from the world and its unfair treatment. "Not you as well," Sapnap whispers sympathetically.

George doesn't raise his head. "What a mess this has been, huh?" Sapnap moves to sit next to George. He doesn't touch him, he knows better then to do that when George is this upset.

They sit together quietly. The longer they sit there, the more Sapnap can feel the weight of what has happened. He swallows, hard, determined not to cry.

Once Sapnap has deemed George calm enough, he says, "C'mon, let's get off the floor." George looks up at him and nods dazedly, more exhaustion then him actually wanting to get up. He doesn't want to see Dream. Doesn't want to face the truth he's known for awhile.

'Coward,' George thinks to himself as he follows Sapnap out of the bathroom and down the hall.

"I assume you don't want to see Dream right now, so would you like to lie down in my room?" Sapnap asks slowly.

George, surprised by how well Sapnap knows him, can only nod as he follows the other man furthur down the hall and into his room.

The room is filled with warm undertones, giving a pleasant and gentle feeling. Sapnap directs him to lie down on the bed. The curtains block most of the light from outside, leaving the room looking dim.

George follows Sapnap's instructions and lies down on his bed. The pillows smell like fire, wood, and the cool, hard, earth. It smells like his best friend.

He can already feel himself drifting off into a peaceful slumber. He only barely hears the snatch of the door closing behind Sapnap.

———

Sapnap finds himself drifting towards the living room. He sits down on the plush sofa, the room gloomy. He can feel the pull of the emotions he's been hiding.

He's alone for now. No one can judge him here. He doesn't need to stay strong for them while he's alone. They can't hear him. He covers his mouth with his hand to muffle the sobs. The tears burn and sting his face on the way down.

If Sapnap cries himself to sleep on the couch that night, no one has to know.

it's been like, what, 2 months since i've updated or even touched this story. sorry to keep you guys waiting ^_^