Sixteen

"I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL HER."

Bruce grits his teeth at the thought of Diana teasing the hell out of me hours ago as I walk out of the bathroom after cleaning my cuts and washing away the dirt off my body.

"That's supposed to be my line." I joke.

"Selina told me everything," Bruce maintains the serious tone in his voice. "Dick is bat-shit worried about you-"

"Bat-shit," I giggle, only until Bruce looks at me with those piercing grayish-blue eyes. "Sorry." After a moment of silence, Bruce would just silently stare at me.

"You know, you're terrifying when you stare at me like that." I wouldn't look into Bruce's eyes when I said that. My fingers start to twiddle with each other. I guess it threw Bruce off because he reached over and held both my hands in his.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he says in a whisper. "I wanna be there for you, I should've been there for you." He pauses as his head hangs low. Then I hear him lowly mutter a Damn it, Selina.

"Don't blame Selina," I argue. "It's not her fault, it's Dick and I's. We shouldn't have agreed with her. And you. You have to quit worrying about me. I'm positive Fat Lex and Diana are terrified now."

"Yeah, maybe you're right," Bruce admits after a minute of comfortable silence. I made cocky billionaire Bruce Wayne admit I'm good at what I do, give me a goddamn trophy. "Tomorrow, I'm taking you to meet a friend of mine. She'd love you."

I could never get enough of Barbara Gordon's cooking, for real. It's the greatest thing. I love it so much that Dick is starting to doubt his talent. "I don't cook good anymore? My cooking's just jack to you now, huh, Nex? You were my biggest fan."

"Come on, Dick, she's your girl!" Tim teases, taking bite after bite of the mashed potatoes Barbie hand-mashed.

"How long did this take, Barb?" Jason asks, shoving chunks of asparagus into his mouth.

"Hmm, three hours," Barbie answers matter-of-factly with a smile on her face. Jason's fork falls out of his hand, Tim accidentally spits his water at Dick's face and Bruce almost choked on the asparagus. "What, guys?"

"Three hours?" Jason repeats. "You're not fucking with us? You spent three hours cooking all this for us?"

"What's the big deal, Jason?" Barbie groans. "Hey, Bruce, we've got the al-Ghul thing tonight, don't we?"

al-Ghul? I've heard that name before. "Wait, al-Ghul?"

"You know her?" Bruce pauses from eating his mashed potatoes. He sounded mad. He looked mad too. I only shrug before tending back to my food.

Did I ever tell you I'm a great liar? Well, if I haven't, then I'll tell you. I'm a great liar. Who doesn't know of crime boss Ra's al-Ghul's hot daughter? If it's you, you've been living under a rock. "We're going over to Talia's so make sure all of you have plus-ones." Bruce instructs.

Dick notices my conflicted face as he gets up from his seat, pulls me away from the table and hides behind a pillar. Bruce's eyes were on me the whole time ever since Dick got off his chair. "You know who Talia al-Ghul is, don't you?" I wouldn't tell. "Nex. I won't tell Bruce."

I can't just break because he said he wouldn't tell Bruce. If you don't know, I don't trust Dick as much as you think I do. He lies a lot. And, yes, I know Talia al-Ghul. She was Bruce's girlfriend. "Of course I know her, Dick. For all I know, she used to fuck Bruce. I don't wanna go." My arms cross.

"You have to go, Nex! The only reason why she wants us there is so that she could try and re-cuff Bruce. You don't want that, I don't want that. None of us do. You think we all want to go? We're doing this for Bruce, and now, after knowing Talia's motive, for you too." Dick argues. So she's a bitch. Hm. Why am I not surprised?

"How did y'all find out?" I ask, seriously curious.

Dick sighs loud. "You know Nyssa Raatko? She's Talia's half-sister and she's close friends with Tim. She told Tim everything."

"They were married, right?" I don't look in Dick's eyes. "Bruce and Talia?"

A silence falls over Dick and I, until he breathes out a sigh. "Not were. They still are."

-

I locked myself in my room ever since breakfast. I couldn't look at Bruce the same way anymore. How could he be with me while he's still married to Talia fuckin' al-Ghul? It makes no sense at all. "Lock the door when you leave, please, Alfred." I smile as Alfred passes through, sending me lunch.

"Sure, Miss Grayson. Oh, before I forget, Mr. Wayne is asking for you." Alfred smiles.

"Tell him I'm better off alone." I still smile at Alfred. After all, none of this has to do with him.

"If I may ask, is this about the al-Ghul party you are attending with Mr. Wayne and the rest tonight?" Alfred finds a spot on my bed and sits.

I sigh. "Kind of," I say. "I just found out Bruce and Talia are still married."

"Well, I've asked Mr. Wayne to file for a divorce countless times. He keeps saying he will. I suppose he never did go to court." Alfred shrugs.

"Well, it's not your fault, Alfred. Dick told me this during breakfast," I shrug it off. "Don't worry about it."

"I know," Alfred smiles. "You and Bruce can walk past this if you do it together," Alfred's one of the people who live in the house that has so much hope in Bruce and I. I think I appreciate it? I'm not sure yet. We'll find out, I guess. "Go to that party, Nexa. If what Dick had said is true, do what you need to do. You have the right to defend your relationship. It's the right thing to do, anyways."

a/n: i updated chapter zero and added more characters that will be appearing in this book. go check it out (if u want).🫀