~21~

~Isabella~

As expected, the party was filled to the brim. It was a Governor's party so yeah, as expected it was filled with various elites from all over the world. I couldn't miss a chance like this. Men like Sancho and Thumson were countless in events like this so it was a great opportunity to be even present.

I suddenly felt the need to go the bathroom and straighten this gown up for like the third time since I got here. I didn't know where Enzo got dresses like this from that were painfully pulling up my thighs. I wasn't used to cocktail gowns like this. Probably because, I spend half of my day putting on a black and black suit, along with a black mask.

"Please excuse me," The governor's wife, Mrs Miranda sighted me and excused herself from the circle of people around her. "Isabel. You came," She smiled and pulled me into a hug.

"Why won't I? Wouldn't want to disappoint you and Caleb. You two have been very good to me."

"I know but it's just returning favors. Your mother was good to me too." She noticed how uncomfortable I was getting. "Had something to drink yet?"

I shook my head.

"Well, get something then. The balcony's that way. I'll be with you in a few."

I sighed. Finally, freedom. "Thanks Mimi." I said and moved to hurry out, pulling my gown along. Just as I was about stepping out, two men walked in with another. They were laughing like it seemed they had been discussing something out on the balcony. The moment the third man turned to face me, my breath caught in my throat.

Shayne Walker.

There were times when we ran into each other at countless events these past few years but there was never a time when we dared spoke to each other. I still remember the week after I left. Shayne came looking for me in Italy, begging me to come back with him hence he wouldn't return back here. I refused him countless times and after some weeks, he went back home. The one thing that hurt him the most was his attempt at trying to put a baby in me and failing woefully. Some months later, when I went to visit Nicole, I was welcomed with the news of him getting his long-time girlfriend, Cheryl, pregnant and that they were expecting. It broke my heart and for weeks, I didn't step out to see the sunlight. I still didn't know why he hasn't married her yet to make things official between them but whatever the reason might be, I knew one way or the other, I was the cause of it.

"Isab--" Just before he could get to where I was, Carlo appeared from nowhere and stepped in front of me.

"Isabel."

"Hey! Carlo! You're here."

"Yeah, you too. You look beautiful." He complimented.

"Thanks. You look--great too!"

He smiled. "Thanks. So um, what are you doing here?"

"Uh, I'm friends with the governor. And his wife. She was pretty close to my mom before."

"Oh, I see."

"Yeah."

I noticed Shayne was still standing behind watching the whole thing. He was talking to a man but his eyes were focused on mine.