~27~

¶Isabel¶

"You had sex with Shayne?!" Nicole almost shouted after I had told her about everything that has happened so far between Shayne, Carlo and I. "I can't believe this. With Carlo waiting out in the bar for you. How could you do this to your boyfriend?"

I glared at her.

She looked at me with a serious face then after a moment she broke into laughter. "Boyfriend!" She said, laughing hard. "Oh my God, that is so hilarious!"

I rolled my eyes and looked at her. "And what exactly is funny?"

"Nothing is just... considering how bad you are at relationships..you still went ahead to have another?"

"And so? I never asked for it. Carlo forced it on me."

"Then you should have refused him. I mean... it's better than leading him on to a dead end."

"How could I have refused an opportunity to make the father of my boyfriend pay for what he did to my brother?"

She sighed. "You still want revenge?"

"Of course I do. Why else do you think I agreed to be with Carlo?"

"You know he's going to be shattered when you leave him, you know that right?"

"I don't think so."

"Of course, he will be. You usually do have that effect on people whenever you decide to leave. One way or another, they usually do end up miserable or shattered. Take Shayne for example."

I rolled my eyes again. "Oh please."

"Oh come on!" She said, hitting my thigh playfully.

"Did I...did I ever tell you that Shayne asked me to marry him?"

Her big eyes shone in surprise.

"I mean...not directly though but he said he wanted more than just relationship with me. He said he wants me in his life permanently."

"Oh my God," Nicole covered her mouth dramatically. "This is too much. For real? You aren't.. joking, are you? The...the Shayne Walker asked you to marry him?"

"Did I stutter when I said it?" I asked her. "And what's up with the dramatic behavior?"

"Nothing it's just...I mean....you co-could have said yes...."

"Say what?!'

"I said you could have but you didn't. You chose not to let your heart lead you and that's an... that's really an amazing attribute, you know that right?"

"I know. I know there was time when I missed Shayne so much that I even wanted him for myself but I can't anymore. I don't have that right anymore. I mean.. just look at Ian. He's such an amazing kid, I don't want to jeopardize his happy dreamy family. And then there's Cheryl also. Shayne is the only thing keeping her sane..."

"So.... you're only saying no because you're considering other people and not because you no longer have feelings for him."

"Of course that's not true! You know I no longer have feelings for Shayne. You of all people, you should know that by now."

She looked at me for a moment. "So you're not going to be affected when he decides to get married and settle down tomorrow then?"

I bit my lip slowly. "Of course I won't be affected. It's his choice. It's his life. I don't care about him anymore."

"Well, okay. If you say so."

"Hey dad! Come check this out!" Ian said excitedly as he grabbed my hand and we dashed for the backyard.