Chapter 7

Empty

Empty

That's what Taehyung felt for the past few weeks. Usually he would be so busy and drained out because of work that he didn't even have anytime to feel simple emotions like longing for someone, missing them feeling empty in their absence. But, these past weeks he just couldn't help it,he was overwhelmed by the feeling of loneliness which would only vanish when he face-timed Jungkook in the evening. Just seeing the younger's doe eyes made him relax and feel lively. It was strange how he didn't feel so with his wife who had made not many efforts to call him for the past few days and honestly even Taehyung didn't bother to place a call thinking she must have been busy or that's what excuse he thought of.

He visited Mrs Jeon on Sundays, and today he again found himself standing at the door of the Jeon household. He rang the bell a couple of times but grew concerned when there was no response for about 10 minutes. He touched the door handle and found that it was open which was very unlikely of Mrs Jeon. He rushed inside to find Mrs Jeon laying unconscious on the kitchen floor, her wheelchair upside down laying beside her. He wasted no time in taking her to the hospital.

He waited outside for a few minutes, and was then called by the doctor to his cabin.
"Oh, I was expecting Lisa to come but it's alright have a seat"
Taehyung was confused it seemed like the doctor was already familiar to Mrs Jeon and Lisa.

"Uhm I am Lisa's husband. Can I know what happened to Mrs jeon?"
He asked.
The doctor seemed hesitant for a sec but said,

"I am afraid that Lisa would appreciate me telling this to you or not. I thought Lisa would have told you"
The seriousness in his voice made Taehyung more concerned.

"Wh-at happened to her? Why did she suddenly collapse?" He asked

The doctor sighed,
"Um well Mrs Jeon was in an accident because of which she hasn't been able to walk on her feet and well she suffered a traumatic brain injury, s-he won't be able to live long"

Taehyung mouth hung open. But instead of continuing further the first thing he did was rush out of the cabin and call Lisa.

"Oh um Hello Taehyung, I was a bit bus-"
"Lisa d-id you know about Mrs. J-eon"
He didn't hear her say anything for a few seconds,
"I d-id Taehyung, she told me a few months ago before I moved to London"
She said.

Taehyung was having flashbacks of the previous months,and the way Lisa excused them to have a chat with Mrs Jeon. He should have been more observant. Shit!

"D-oes Jungkoo-"

"No! Taehyung he doesn't. A-nd it's for the best to not let him know. I beg you to not inform him about anything. H-e has suffered a lot Taehyung ever since his parents'accident he had always been insecure quite and afraid of loosing another loved one. Granny is all he has, h-e wouldn't be able to handle that. After years he is finally moving on in h-is life. Pl-ease don't tell him anything. He will not be able to handle this"

Lisa said, she was crying her words wobly , Taehyung too felt a tear leave his eyes.
The doctor said that Mrs. Jeon must stay at the hospital for a while. So he returned home.

While he sat on the couch, his face traumatised and sorrowful. His phone rang,
It was Jungkook.
He closes his eyes, even if he wanted to listen to jungkook's voice to calm down he couldn't let Jungkook know. Cause if he attended the call he was sure to get emotional so he did not attend the call.
Instead he texted him saying that he was busy.

1 month passed,then 2 and then 3. It was almost the time for Jungkook to return. He was sure that something was wrong because for the past few months Taehyung hadn't called him much and even if he did they didn't talk much and whenever he asked about Mrs. Jeon ,Taehyung always ended the call soon saying that he was busy.

Jungkook would be returning to his hometown again in a week, his internship had ended in busan and he was informed that he could now work in the company's branch there in his hometown. He was delighted he had texted Taehyung that he was coming back in a week but as a surprise he decided to go back sooner.
He was packing his stuff with a slight smile adorning his face.

Suddenly the phone rang, he stumbled on his way towards his table in excitement,
Slightly giggling.
It was Lisa,
"Finally found the time to call me you idiot?"
He said chuckling,
But he stopped when he heard a sniffle.

"H-ey, Lisa are you okay? Wh-at happened?"

"K-ookie, our gr-anny" she said before crying again, jungkook was growing concerned ,

"W-hat about h-er Lisa? Is she alright?"

"S-he left us kookie, s-he is n-o more" she said between hisccups
"I a-m s-oo s-orry, it's m-y fault" she said
and she didn't hear any response cause Jungkook had dropped his phone on the floor he stumbled back falling on the ground. Again.
It's the same feeling of nothingness.
Numb,he feels numb. So many emotions clouding his mind that he felt his body giving in.

The next morning, he was standing at the house he shared with his granny, dressed in black,a bouquet in his hand. He looked dead. No emotion on his face, eyes dark and dull, dry lips and dark bags under his eyes. He looked like a corpse that could move. Lisa had called him multiple times that morning texting him as to why he was not at the funeral.

Afraid, he was too afraid to see the lifeless body of his grandmother. He sat at the staircase of the house holding a piece of paper that held a small signature. He was soo busy starting at the paper he didn't notice a presence beside him.

"J-ungkook" Taehyung said his eyes wide. Jungkook did not even look up at the familiar voice even though for some reason that voice instilled some kind of life in his body.
He walked closer to the younger and hugged him letting his tears fall. Jungkook did not return the hug.

"She broke it" Jungkook said causing Taehyung to pull away to look at Jungkook who was now staring at the piece of paper.

"H-uh?"
"She broke the promise" he paused for a few seconds showing Taehyung the piece of paper.

"She promised to always stay with me, here in this house"
"See,we even sighed a contract" he said chuckling sadly,

He turned to look at Taehyung who was crying, he slowly placed his hands on Taehyung's face.
"I should have known, should have spent the last days by her side"
He said and paused slowly wiping Taehyung's tears,
"W-hy hyung" he said in broken voice which made Taehyung's heart clench.

"W-hy did you hide it from me?" He said wiping the last tear and harshly moving away.

Taehyung tried to touch his hand but Jungkook harshly swated it away,
"Go away Hyung." He said no emotion in his voice and walked towards Mrs. Jeon's room.

Taehyung wouldn't leave, not when Jungkook looked so broken, so hurt ,it made his heart sink.

Thank you so much for 190 reads .