Crushes

Ophelia spoke soothingly to the Antipodean Opaleye as she ran her hand up and down its snout, distracting the creature from Charlie, who was working to get a rather large splinter out from between its front claws.

"Such a braw dragon, ye are, Kaiwhare," she crooned, the young dragon's glittering eyes fixed on her. It then leaned its forehead against her chest, pushing against her slightly and causing her to chuckle as she stumbled back a bit. "I swear, we're nearly done."

Looking over towards Charlie, she raised her eyebrows at him. He glanced up and smiled as he nodded, before returning to his work.

"Just about got it... Keep distracting him," he said.

"Perhaps if Uncle Charlie is decent, he'll remember to bring ye some nice fish or a big fat sheep next time," Ophelia said, looking back into the dragon's eyes. It snorted softly and moved his head up and down, almost as though agreeing with her. She rubbed between his eyes again.

"Oh, he eats well enough," Charlie called out, laughter in his voice.

"And I'm sure ye dinnae spoil him in the slightest," Ophelia replied. Charlie chuckled.

"May want to step back," he shouted out in warning. "In three... two... one."

Ophelia hopped back in time to miss getting singed as Charlie yanked out the splinter and Kaiwhare gave a yelp, a small jet of bright red fire leaving his snout. The dragon turned its head as Charlie walked up to Ophelia's side, tossing a thin stick about seven inches long in the air.

"No wonder you were in pain," he said, looking up at the dragon. Kaiwhare snorted again and leaned down to sniff the stick before turning away. "Wouldn't much like it either."

Both Ophelia and Charlie backed away, allowing the creature a wide berth as it started across the clearing and then took off into flight.

"I'm surprised he's so docile. The others too," Ophelia commented.

"Trust me. The truly wild ones, especially when they're hurt and scared, you don't want to get that close. Takes a team of us to stun one into submission so we can work on them when they're injured," Charlie replied. "Kaiwhare, the others I've shown you, they've been here awhile and can't really make it in the wild. They're used to us."

Ophelia looked over at him, smiling.

"So, ye've been takin' it easy on me?" she asked. He chuckled in reply.

"Easing you into it, is more like it," he said. "But you've been doing well. Really well in fact. Could probably start you with some of the wild ones, I think. Really got a knack to be a dragon handler if you want to switch over full time."

Ophelia looked away, blushing.

"Ye flatter too much, Charlie Weasley," she said, feeling an odd stir of butterflies in her stomach.

"Nah, you just can't take a compliment, Ophelia Wood," he quipped. "Reckoned you'd be good from what Duncan's said."

Ophelia looked over at him confused.

"Since when has Duncan ever said somethin' about me that wasnae complainin'?" she joked.

Charlie ran his hand up the back of his neck, a sheepish smile on his face.

"I mentioned he talks about you a lot, right? You and Oliver. And it's almost always something he's proud of," Charlie said. Ophelia couldn't help as her eyes widened at the admission. "You didn't hear it from me, but yea, he is right proud of the both of you. Pretty sure I've followed your entire career through his letters."

Ophelia was sure her blush deepened. She had always thought Duncan lived to annoy and tease her. Or protect her. It was odd to hear that he had actually been bragging about her to his friends.