Once a Player

To say things were tense the next day would be an understatement. Ophelia avoided looking at either Charlie or Adara, though was sure her cheeks were flaming red. This time from anger rather than embarrassment.

Not to mention, she woke up to not only a raging headache from the firewhiskey, but an overcast sky with everyone saying that a storm was coming in. Well, that was just perfect. A stormy day to fit her stormy mood.

The entire sanctuary was out working to prepare, making sure the injured dragons were brought in closer to the camp and the various shelters and buildings were reinforced.

And just her luck, Andrei told her to go with Charlie to check on the dragons to the north of the camp just after lunch. Spending the afternoon with rain threatening to fall at any second alone with Charlie, while she attempted to pretend nothing was wrong was proving to be far too difficult. Ophelia cursed her inability to hide her feelings and wished she could be more like Daria in that aspect.

Turns out she had a temper every bit as explosive as her brothers when pushed. Though it wasn't as though she was just angry. No, she was also hurt and embarrassed, though at least thankful that neither Charlie nor Adara had seen her last night. And that she had found out the truth before she had truly made a fool of herself.

"So... where were you last night?" Charlie asked, finally breaking the tense silence that had gone on for the last 45 minutes they had been working.

They were nearly finished with this task and Ophelia was grateful that soon she could go stew in the privacy of her cabin.

"I waited up for you, but you never came. Nearly came to check," he continued.

Ophelia nearly snorted but stopped herself. Sure, he waited. She had seen Adara go in with her own two eyes.

"I got tired," she lied. "Sorry."

"Oh... well..." he stopped checking the structure they were inspecting and turned to her, a look of concern on his face. "Did I... did I do something to upset you?"

She didn't stop the snort this time, though quickly turned away.

"No, ye did nothin' of the sort," she said, her voice harsh even to her own ears.

Merlin, when had she gotten so bitter?

"Okay... is something else wrong?" he asked. "You seem out of sorts today."

"I'm perfectly fine," Ophelia said, finishing up her work and stepping back to inspect it. She was thankful that was the last bit they had to do.

The sky looked as though it was about to rip open any second and had turned an odd shade of green. In fact, it had gotten exponentially darker in the time they had been out. While she was largely happy to get away from Charlie, she didn't want to be caught out in the rain either.

"You don't seem fine," Charlie said, still studying her.

"Forgive me if I dinnae like bein' played," Ophelia muttered, turning away. But Charlie's arm shot out and he grabbed her, spinning her back around to face him, his own a mix of confusion and hurt.

Bugger, he had heard her.

"What was that?" he asked. Ophelia huffed and yanked her arm back, rubbing it slightly.

"I ken that it's the thing to do - that it's yer thing to do - but I dinnae much like being another notch on yer belt," she shouted. Charlie looked confused.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Phillie," he said.

"Oh, shut it, Charlie! Adara told me all about yer little ploy. Going after flings and all. Leadin' poor women on and then droppin' them when it's no longer convenient for ye. That's no the sort of thing I like," she shouted.