An Afternoon with the Woods

Mature Content Warning - You know the drill...

Ophelia couldn't help but be nervous as she and Charlie made their way down the path to the house where she grew up in a small village nestled in the Highlands. Outside of Hogwarts and her flat, it was the only home she had ever known. It was on the outskirts of the village along a small lane of magical folk, though the main village itself was muggle.

She stopped at the doorstep, gulping slightly as she stared at the door. It wasn't so much that she was afraid – she had never truly been afraid of her parents, even when she was in trouble – but she was concerned. There was no telling what madness would be lying on the other side of the door now that she was bringing a man home to meet (well, not so much meet in this case, but same concept) the family.

"Surely this isn't that bad," Charlie said from her side.

She looked over at him, jealous that he was far more at ease than she was. Part of her thought they shouldn't take an afternoon off from work; there was still far too much to do on the proposal. But Charlie assured her they would be fine. Besides, part of this was work. They would head out to Hebrides after lunch.

But that wasn't the source of her agitation. It was her family. She wasn't completely sure what they would face.

"Right," Ophelia said, pushing the door open before she lost her nerve and turned back around. "Mam! Da!"

"Ah, there ye are!" Davina Wood said as she stepped into the living room, a towel in her hands.

She quickly wiped her hands and walked over to hug Ophelia, though she was smiling at Charlie over her shoulder. She then stepped over and hugged him as well.

"So good to see ye, Charlie. It's been such a long time."

"You as well, Mrs. Wood," he said politely.

"Pssh, it's Davina," she said, stepping back from him. "Ye've certainly grown up."

She then looked over and winked at Ophelia, whose cheeks turned pink.

"Ah, when I heard Charlie Weasley was comin' today, nearly didnae believe it," her father Fergus boomed as he walked in, his eyes twinkling.

He was a large man - tall and broad like her brothers - and Ophelia supposed she should be grateful that he had chosen to be happy about Charlie, rather than try to intimidate him.

"Especially when I heard he was comin' with wee Phillie here," Fergus continued.

"Da," Ophelia whined, though Fergus paid her no heed, walking over to shake Charlie's hand. She was now unsure if she liked this approach any better.

"Good to see you again, Mr. Wood," Charlie said, ever the charmer.

"As with my lovely wife, it's Fergus. And at this point, ye are practically family as it is," he said, grinning.

Ophelia grimaced, not sure she wanted to know where he was going with that. He then stepped over and hugged Ophelia.

"Happy to hear ye looked after my youngest in Romania. Save her from any dragons, did ye?" Fergus said. Ophelia just frowned at her father.

"Actually, she was the one rescuing me," Charlie said, smiling. "Got me out of the way before a Hebridean Black could roast me." Fergus' eyes widened as he looked at Ophelia. "Got a lovely scar from her efforts."

"WHAT!?" Duncan shouted as he bounded into the room.

Ophelia huffed and rolled her eyes. Of course, this would be the one time he showed up early.