The Thing About Love

Ophelia stood at the table, double checking the last of the supplies in her bag. The rest of the weekend had passed by in a blur of fishing, hiking and spending time in Charlie's arms. Despite her realization - and the subsequent fear that it brought - she hadn't been able to actually speak to him about it.

However, it didn't detract from how magical the weekend had been. Regardless of the slight fear when it came to falling in love, in true Charlie fashion, he had gotten her to relax and enjoy the time they had together. And they kept to their word - neither brought up the future, though it was looming ever closer.

So close that when she was alone, it was all Ophelia could think about.

But now it was back to work. She needed to push her muddled thoughts on love, Charlie and the future aside for the time being. She was about to go out into the wild and care for dragons, after all. One needed to remain focused lest she end up seriously injured.

"Well, well, how was your little rendezvous this weekend?"

Ophelia glanced over her shoulder, watching as Lazlo walked into the supply shed, a smug grin on his face. She sighed heavily and returned to her task, ready to get out of there.

"Fine," she said dryly, thoroughly ready to be away from Adara's little minion.

She wasn't exactly sure what his game was in all this or why he would care about her and Charlie. She had made it clear long ago that whether she had started dating Charlie or not, she most definitely was not interested in Lazlo.

"See it was more than fine," he said, now standing at her side and gazing down at her. Ophelia glanced at him and continued checking her bag.

"We just went campin'," she said tensely, sliding the last bit of gauze into her knapsack and shutting it.

"Let me guess... he took you to Dragon's Head, didn't he?" Lazlo said.

Ophelia froze for a moment but then slid the knapsack on her back. She didn't dignify it with an answer, knowing he was only trying to get under her skin. It was likely all the other tamers knew about the ridge - it wasn't as though Charlie owned it or anything.

"Beautiful view, isn't it?"

"It is," she said, turning to walk away.

"He told you the story about it, didn't he? Waited until the sun had gone down and the stars came out before enchanting you further?" Lazlo asked. Ophelia slowed and stopped, turning to face him as she frowned. "It's what he does with all of them, you know? Adara... the interns... He takes them all there for one last romantic weekend away."

Ophelia swallowed, reminding herself that it wasn't true. That Lazlo was only playing Adara's game and that Charlie wasn't like that. He had told her himself that he hadn't ever take anyone there with him, which she firmly believed from the way he got nervous telling her. It was a place of solace and comfort, and he had wanted to share it with her.

But... how did Lazlo know about all that? Lazlo grinned at her from where he was leaning against the worktable. He pushed off it and stalked towards her.

"Oh, sweet little Ophelia," he said, reaching out to tuck a stray hair behind her ear. She flinched and pulled her head back away from him. "You really believe everything he's telling you, don't you? So naive..."

"Ye don't know anythin' about me or Charlie," she spat, glaring at him. "Besides, I cannae understand why ye even care."

Lazlo chuckled as he leaned towards her, his face so close she could feel his breath on her cheek. Ophelia backed up slightly, not appreciating the invasion to her personal space.