Chapter 7

Dahlia was furious.

She'd acknowledged Klaus, almost kindly. Claiming he was the smartest of his siblings because he'd chosen to side with her. She praised him for being willing to help her take down Hayley and anyone who stood in their way when they went to get Hope. Right after, she began to mix ingredients into a bowl of blood. Overhead, a storm began to rage.

"You."

Ingrid flinched as Dahlia lifted her hand, forcing her to her knees, with the sensation that she was choking. "You foolish girl," she sneered. "Thinking for even a second that you would deny me your power."

The younger witch screamed, holding her head as blood started to pour out of her eyes, her nose, mouth, even her ears. "STOP!" she screamed, trying her best to burst out magic that might overpower her. "STOP IT! LET ME GO!"

"You see, Niklaus, why you must allow me to take Hope now?" said Dahlia, as if this was a perfect example. "Why it is best that you remain alongside us to parent her? Ingrid was better than Freya in many ways because I had her since her birth. However, she resents me greatly and continues to act out, despite all that I have done to help her."

"I say we teach her a lesson," said Klaus wickedly.

Dahlia stopped her spell. "I will have many of our kenned come to feed you, so that you may be at full strength. Then," she glared at her niece. "You're going to bed early."

"On the contrary," said Klaus. "I believe she ought to be awake. And in her right mind. But under my control, forced to watch and participate."

Ingrid stared at him suspiciously, not sure why he would want her to be awake if he clearly disliked her so much. "Surely there is a way to do that?" he inquired to Dahlia, who wasn't sure she wanted Ingrid to be in the way. "If the spell no longer works on her, perhaps a different method is in order. You weaken her mind just enough for me to compel her. Witches are impervious to my tricks, but perhaps not if you give me an entrance."

"Don't do this to me," said Ingrid weakly. "Please, no, please—"

But it seemed Dahlia was intrigued. "Very well," she said. "You weaken her, physically, while I fetch you sustenance. Then, I will perform the spell."

Ingrid was backed into a wall. She couldn't even think to use her magic, because Dahlia would just stop her.

Klaus lunged at her, yanking her head to the side and biting into her throat, starting to feed. Ingrid screamed, trying to push him off of her, but he held her arms down. And that was when she realized what he was doing.

She saw a dim light even when she'd closed her eyes. Voices. A memory. She was letting him into his mind, willingly. So she took the entrance but continued to scream, so that Dahlia would suspect nothing.

"Good morning."

She was standing in a hut, looking down at a young woman and a young man who were seated together. The man was holding his wife's hand, caressing it and smiling.

"Dahlia," said the woman excitedly. "It is true. I am with child."

With a pang in her heart, Ingrid realized she was seeing her parents.

"That is very good news, sister," said Dahlia, glancing at Einar, who no longer looked happy once he saw Dahlia was pleased. Obviously, he wasn't on board with what the two witches had planned.

"It will be born after several full moons," said Frida. "In that time, we can prepare Freya for our spell."

"Do you not understand that she is merely a child?" said Einar sharply. "You both treat her as though she is a magical object gifted to you for your usage. That girl is not happy here. Perhaps returning her to her mother—"