Chapter 24

The verdict was in Ingrid's favor.

Obviously. Because Cami would always support her, once she'd made sure Ingrid was aware of the risks. The only problem was that Ingrid knew her cousins would never be okay with this.

So she didn't plan to tell them.

"I just want to ask if you're sure about trusting Lucien with this," said Cami. "What if he's doing it for some sinister reason?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "The truth is, I won't... have any idea how bad it can get until it happens."

"Well, are you going to talk to them about it? Or are you just going to... join?"

"I have a feeling if I ask for permission or mention it to them, I'll never be allowed. They might confine me to the Compound so that I can't go anywhere. Oh. And I forgot to mention— Lucien invited us for Thanksgiving."

Cami blinked. "He did what?"

"I know," she said. "It's weird. But he wants us there. I guess he's trying to be friendly? We can come up with an excuse, if you want."

The blonde had no idea what to say. "Well... I guess we're having Thanksgiving dinner at the fancy penthouse. As long as he doesn't try grabbing either of us it should be fine, right? I mean, if we don't go, he might get offended, and then that could be bad."

"But we don't have to if you don't want to."

"We should," said Cami, nodding. "We should at least hear him out. Maybe he can tell us more about The Strix Coven."

Ingrid shrugged. "Don't know what more there is for me to learn but it's worth a shot. Maybe if it's part of an evil scheme then you'll be able to figure it out based on his behavior. I just..." she took Cami's hands, "I want to see this as a good thing, even if I'm a bit nervous about it. We have a spell to resurrect Finn thanks to Rebekah but we don't have the power source we need for it. Maybe The Strix Coven can help me with that and help me bring back Aiden, too. It's been long enough. Half a year... his heart will have decomposed and I'll need to a stronger source of power for him, too."

"As long as you're careful and safe," said Cami. "I know better than to try and change your mind about something that you clearly think will work."

"I just need to get a few things in order before I go through with it," said Ingrid. "Like, my will."

Cami blinked. "Your will? Ingrid, you're linked to Rebekah to keep you immortal. You won't die."

"That link won't help me much if I am working with The Strix. They can find a way to kill me if they want to. This is just for emergencies, to decide who gets Irene. Shared custody between you and Josh until you decide on another arrangement. And if that works for you then it stays as shared custody."

"Are you going to tell Freya about this?"

"I don't know if I should. I'm honestly nervous to even go to the Compound, knowing they're going to be looking at me. I feel like they'll figure it out if I'm there for too long."

"You could always stay with me. Bring Irene, I'm sure she'll be okay here. The window is bigger so she can chirp at the birds."

"Are you sure?" asked Ingrid. "I don't want you to feel pressured to opening your doors for me so soon. Staying overnight is one thing but living together... are you sure you're okay with that?"

"We practically do live together, just between your place and mine. Besides... I'd feel safer if I could see you every single night, knowing you'll be risking your life every day."

"I'll see if I can get some payment for being in the Coven, so that you're not paying for this apartment by yourself."

"You don't need to do that..."