Chapter 14

Ingrid knew the therapy had to end.

Between her and Cami, that is. Because she knew damn well that she still needed to talk to somebody about how she felt, and since she didn't want to burden Josh with everything, she figured she needed someone else to take over from a professional standpoint.

"I can compel any of these therapists to help you and keep their mouths shut," said Josh when he and Ingrid were looking through Tulane's database for mental health professionals. "The only problem is having to explain everything again so it makes sense."

"I don't want to stop talking to her about things," said Ingrid quietly. "I feel comfortable with her. But I knew since the very beginning that I felt too comfortable... and she needs to be aware of that. I mean, you saw what happened with her and Klaus. He was using her, also as his therapist. They caught feelings, things got toxic... and I don't want that for us. If there's going to be a chance of us being together then we need to develop this relationship as friends."

"It's a step in the right direction," said Josh kindly. He suddenly snapped his fingers. "Vincent!"

"That's not my name." She glanced down at Irene, who'd meowed when he exclaimed. "And that's not your name, either."

"No, Vincent Griffith," said Josh. "He actually has psychology degrees! He's a non-practicing witch and he's been trying to find a job but hasn't been able to— this is perfect! You can pay him to give you therapy and you will be able to talk to a fellow witch about... everything! Ingrid, maybe he can even coordinate with Kol because he actually understands the magic-mind connection in supernaturals like you."

Ingrid blushed. "You do realize my cousin possessed him, right? Got him killed... dragged him away from his life for nine months...? He hates my family."

"He dislikes your family. But Marcel told me that he is also a selfless guy, he likes to help people and he will set aside his hatred if he can tell someone is in need. Doesn't matter who it is."

"Do you think this is a good idea?"

"Well, you're the one that said that the only way to grow this relationship in a healthy way is as friends. You can't keep being Cami's patient if your feelings for her are going to continue developing."

She snorted, "And then there's the fact I made a fool of myself at the nightclub."

Josh made a face. "Eh, I guess that, too. She didn't see it, though."

"But she heard about it."

"She was just worried, and Freya told her. Without the gross vomit-y details."

Ingrid put her hands on her thighs before getting to her feet. "I ought to go see Vincent, then. If he agrees to helping me, then I need to go talk to Cami."

Josh stopped her from leaving. "One more thing first. Are you going to tell Cami the reason?"

"Er... I wasn't planning to tell her the truth."

"Come on, Ingrid, you can't cut her off without being honest. You have to tell her, at least a part of the truth."

Ingrid huffed. "Fine. And if it goes badly then at least... I'll know how she feels about me for certain."

She walked to Vincent's house, having acquired the address from Marcel. She knocked on the front door, waiting patiently for him to open. She could hear music playing inside, and the steam exiting the window suggested he was cooking.

The door opened, and there he stood, in an apron. Clearly surprised to see her. "Ingrid Einarson," he said. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

She detected the sarcastic undertones in his speech. "Wish this was for pleasure," she replied. "I'm sure everyone in the city has heard by now about the crazy witch that lost her magic and needs therapy to get it back. That's... why I'm here."