Chapter 13

Josh pulled up a 'wikihow' article.

"What the bloody hell is this?" asked Ingrid when he turned the screen to her. "I asked you to come and teach me— I could have done this on my own! What am I paying you for?"

"You're not paying me for anything, first of all," said Josh, sliding the laptop to her so that he could pet Irene. "Besides, we can go through each in more detail. Number one— wear something that will make you feel confident. I saw your outfit the other night, it was cute. You have more dresses, right?"

Ingrid made a face, and Josh blew air out of his mouth. "Okay, then I guess we need to go shopping. We should do that after this. Do you have a cat stroller so Irene can come with us?"

"I... do not."

"Okay. So we need a cat stroller and some dresses. Cool. I assume you kind of know how to do your makeup?"

"Yes," said Ingrid. "Freya and I learned with a... YouTube? That's what it's called, right? Well, that. A video on that thing. Rebekah helped a bit." She squinted at the screen. "Number two, go with friends. Okay, that's covered. Number three, designate a driver."

"You're with vampires, and we have high tolerance, it'll be fine," said Josh. "If anything, I'm sure Elijah and Kol wouldn't abandon us if we're too drunk to function. He can pick us up in an emergency."

Ingrid shook her head. "Can't tell Kol, he shouldn't know I'm drinking."

"Elijah it is, then. Number four, bring your wallet and ID."

"I did that last time, Freya held onto it for me. Okay... next section says that we have to wait in line."

"Not really, Marcel can get us in easier," said Josh. "Let's see... show bouncer your ID... not needed. Next a cover charge... no, we get in for free... wristband ew, no. Next section— having fun at the club. Order a drink. You know what you like, right?"

Ingrid assented. "Sazerac."

"I'll have you try something new this time, you need variety. Next on the list, dance. You know how to dance?"

"Not really, but it shouldn't be that hard to imitate what everyone else is doing, right?"

"For the most part it'll be easy to mimic people. Last two points say to get a booth or table if we need a break... pfft, not happening I hope... and then to order water if we get dehydrated. That one is mainly for you mortals." He switched to a different tab. "Ooh, this one is good, it's a tip list for those who are partying for the first time. Let's see..." he skimmed through it, "mostly says the same thing about friends... dressing comfortably... makeup... essentials... okay, we got that covered. Which means it's time to go get you an outfit. Do you have a cat carrier for fear-steen while we make a pit stop to get her a stroller?"

"I really wish you'd stop calling her 'fear-steen.' It's fyrstinde."

"That's what I said."

"No it's not."

Irene was pleased to see the outside world as they walked to a nearby pet store to purchase the stroller. Josh insisted on getting a bright pink one, which had a fluffy and comfortable interior. The cat carrier was put in the compartment underneath, while Ingrid plopped Irene into the stroller. She started clawing at the net immediately, and Ingrid made a mental note to ask Freya to spell it so that Irene wouldn't be able to rip it, otherwise, she'd easily escape.

"Look at her, she's happy," said Josh as they walked toward a dress shop. Irene had calmed down, sitting right at the edge and looking out at the people around them.