Chapter 20

Cami texted a few minutes later.

"'Will is going to bring Lucien to the station for questioning,'" Ingrid read off aloud from the text. "'Vincent and I are waiting for him at the main NOLA PD building...'" She texted back, 'Is anyone going to make sure Will doesn't get eviscerated on the spot??'

Three little jumping dots let her know that Cami was typing. She replied, 'No, he said he didn't want Vincent to go with him, and I obviously wouldn't go.'

'Cool,' Ingrid replied, 'I'll go with him, then.'

More dots, and Cami replied, 'Are you insane? You can't go with him!'

'Someone should. I'm not sure Lucien actually knows that I lost my magic. I'll take some dark objects to be safe. At least the sight of me might make Lucien question his choices. He can't kill me, or Klaus will skin him alive.'

Despite Cami's protests that it wasn't a good idea, Ingrid arranged to go with Will, ignoring his insistence that she wasn't qualified to be there.

"First you're threatening me, now you want to go on a house call with me?" asked Will as they rode up to the penthouse in the elevator. "You confuse me."

She shrugged. "I just want to observe. Besides, Cami says you found a third body. No offense, but if Lucien is our guy, I don't think he'll be scared of your gun."

"And what, he'll be scared of you? You're unarmed."

Ingrid smirked. "If he's smart, he'll be wary." She observed the magical bracelets on her wrists, and glanced down at the anklets she'd fastened above her heels. "Come on, Will, you can admit you were pissing your pants when I yelled at you."

"Not pissing my pants," he said. "Just wondering if I need to make sure my will is in order in case you end up murdering me." He shrugged. "But, if you yell at that guy the way you yelled at me, maybe he won't be so brave after all."

The elevator chimed, dropping them off on the top floor. They walked to the door, and Will knocked firmly. Ingrid could hear movement inside, and seconds later, Lucien opened up, wearing only his jeans, his bare chest on full display.

"Ingrid," he said sweetly. "And here I thought I made a terrible impression on you the other night."

"Oh, you did," said Ingrid dryly.

"Mr. Castle," said Will, holding up his badge. "Detective Kinney, NOLA PD. I was hoping to ask you a few questions."

Lucien rolled his eyes, but then smirked. "By all means, your place or mine?" He winked at Ingrid.

"The station," said Ingrid. "Put on a shirt and hurry up."

Will pulled her aside when Lucien went to get changed. "You're not a law enforcement officer," he hissed. "Stop talking to him. How do you even know this guy?"

"Family friend. More like, he's friends with one of my cousins, and the rest of us... don't seem to like him."

"You are so cruel," said Lucien as he appeared behind them. Will flinched. Lucien simply closed his door, not even bothering to lock it. "Playing hard to get."

"Hard to get?" said Ingrid as they went back into the elevator. "I couldn't possibly be attracted to you, and you don't seem to understand that."

"Ah, yes, Nik did mention you were dating Cami."

"Mhm," confirmed Ingrid, standing between Will and Lucien. "So how about you stop those gears in your brain that are insisting you can 'turn me straight?' I've met far too many men that think the way you do and it's disgusting. Get over yourself."