Chapter 20

Amanda

The next morning they gathered outside the hotel. Mitch had slept better with the help of Dr. Oleson's belladonna extract and Kathy's addition of Valerian root tincture. Aaron had decided it was time to take Mitch home. He would be easier to watch and they were less likely to be interrupted by the authorities. Dr. Oleson could head home with the drug sample and have a local lab run an analysis, maybe figure out what was in it.

Amanda saw Aaron pull Connor aside. She made for them, leaning against Connor's broad shoulder as the two men spoke.

"I guess you were right," Aaron admitted, "you need your pack."

"Dad, I..." Connor started and broke off.

Aaron grabbed his arm. "I know, I am sorry, too. Look, you have always been a good kid and you are growing into a good man. But this is a dangerous situation."

"I know," Connor insisted, "I will be careful, I promise."

Aaron shook his head. "It's just, some day you will have kids and maybe you'll understand. For years it's been my job to protect you. It's hard to stop. Especially when the stakes are so high."

"Do you think the elder would betray his word?" Amanda asked.

"No," Aaron said. "Though I wouldn't put much stock in how far his threats will detour the Fleischers and even less the Sons of Garm. Plus, and I know how hard this is to hear, if Darren is feral..."

"He won't hurt me," Amanda said. "I know it."

"I wish I knew it," Aaron protested. He shook his head. "Mitch is already looking better. Maybe by the time you find Darren he will be coming out of whatever that drug is, be himself again. I hope so. Anyway, its clear my presence isn't helping here. But the Skinwalkers seem to be willing to help you. So I guess it's up to you."

"What will you do?" Connor asked.

"Whatever I can. I will put word out and maybe do some scouting myself. If the Sons of Garm are working with the Fleischers and they are active here, that's a lot of neutral ground between here and their home. Maybe I can catch them coming or going and give them a taste of their own medicine, or even just dissuade them from trying anything. In the meantime, be careful and listen to your mother and Mrs. Toumi. They are here to guide you, okay?"

"Okay," Connor agreed. He gripped his dad's hand tightly and then went willing when Aaron pulled him into a hug.

Amanda called Aunt Maggie that morning. Aunt Maggie agreed to watch Hunter as long as was necessary.

"Thanks so much," Amanda said. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Fall to pieces I am sure," Aunt Maggie replied with a terse laugh. For all her jokes, Amanda suspected she too was worried about Uncle Darren. "And I found a place not far from you where I can wire you some money."

"You don't have to do that," Amanda said.

"Oh, winter camp gear is free out there?" Aunt Maggie responded.

Amanda paused.

"Hadn't thought of that, huh? You can't just wander into the mountains with no gear. You need to keep yourself and your pack safe out there, understand? I have a small emergency stash, and this is an emergency."

The news of Aunt Maggie's gift cheered the pack. More importantly it gave them all something to do other than mope around the hotel and think about what was going on. Amanda, Jay and Connor went to the place she'd found. When they came back they found Courtney and Brianna huddle over Brianna's laptop, searching Craigslist for the gear they would need. Jonathan and Tanner had found the addresses for several outfitters. They were lucky enough to find a large portion of what they needed second hand, to conserve their cash.

Kathy had suspected the kids would refuse to return home. She had had the foresight to pack some winter clothes for Jay and Courtney at least. Courtney took one look at her hiking boots, a gift from her father, and dissolved into tears again.

Over the next two days the hotel room was transformed into a mini outfitters station, with backpacks, sleeping bags, camping gear and heavy winter clothes.