Chapter 57

Connor made his way slowly up the ridge line. He was nervous, had been all day. Ever since they had crossed into the last valley they had been catching various disturbing scents; Uncle Darren's scent, fresh, three times now, a Skinwalker scent that did not belong to either of the packs with them and once, the hackle-raising scent of the Fleischer tribe.

"We are here as guides, only," Moth had warned the first time they caught that scent. Tyee gave her a look but didn't contradict her.

"I told Tyee and his cousin not to interfere," Connor replied tersely. To his pack he added, "remember we are not here to fight a feud. We must avoid spilling blood if we can."

"They are after my uncle to kill him," Amanda snarled.

"I know, and we will drive them off the trail if we can. But we will not kill unless we have to."

After that he kept everyone as close together as the trail allowed. They had crossed down into the valley, over a swollen stream and up the far side without encountering anything further.

The trail levelled off and then a short distance ahead rose sharply through the forest and towards the tree line. To their right a second trail joined this one. Connor had no sooner set foot on level ground when another figure stepped out of the woods on that trail.

Their eyes met and both widened in surprise. The man was thin and lanky, with ropy muscles showing on his bare arms. He wore faded denim jeans and a torn denim jacket. His mouth curled.

Tyee's cousin stepped out next to him. "This is not our fight," Moth called to him. He nodded slightly.

"You need to get off this trail," Connor said to the man.

"Oh, I do?" he replied. "We will see about that." He made some sort of hand signal and his pack rushed forward.

Connor met the alpha in the center of the trail and the two brawled in human form, as if they both sensed that transforming and drawing blood might tip the watching Skinwalkers to the other side. They landed several hard jabs each before dropping back and approaching each other more cautiously.

Connor swung and the man ducked under his punch. He got ahold of Connor's waist and throwing him hard to the ground. The man was on him before he could catch his breath, straddling him. Connor saw the man's hand go to his belt and saw a knife blade flash as he raised it to strike.

Tyee was there, grabbing the man from behind, using an arm lock to hold the knife at bay.

"This is not our fight," Moth hissed at him.

"They are not fighting fair," Tyee growled back, "using weapons. All of them."

"That's right," a voice said with a bitter laugh. "It's just not fair." Connor looked up. Another Fleischer was standing a few feet away. A forty five pistol was in his hands, pointed directly at Connor's head.