Chapter 43

The smell of sex filled Amanda's nostrils. She looked around. Her nose, she knew, was more sensitive than the others, especially in human form. But surely they smelled it, too, or would soon.

Brianna and Charley were coming down the trail hand in hand. He had a goofy grin on his face and she glowed, her cheeks pink.

Connor was facing away from Amanda. She ran her hands along his back and then wrapped them around him, hugging him from behind. She nuzzled his shoulder.

"Mmm," he said, "you in a mood or something?"

"No. Maybe. Just happy. Being in a pack should never be a burden, you know but sometimes..."

She felt him tense, thrown by the conversation. "I know, I try to give you space when you need it," he muttered defensively.

She put her finger over his lips before he could say more. She turned his head.

"Aah," he said as he spied Brianna and Charley.

"What have you two been up to?" Corey asked with arched eyebrows.

They both blushed. "Umm, we were just scouting, you know, like you said," Brianna began. Amanda laughed.

"Oh," Tanner said from his space by the fire. "Is that what we are calling it now?"

Brianna pushed him over playfully.

Tanner wasn't done yet. "So, Charley, did you scope out all the hills and valleys?" Brianna punched him on the shoulder.

"Thoroughly," Charley said. Brianna spun around. Charley caught her and pulled her tight. "I am not ashamed to say it. I did my best to please this woman as much as she deserves." Brianna stopped struggling. She blushed but snuggled in close to him.

"Yeah, forget those stupid hang ups humans have about sex," Saki said. "It's perfectly natural."

"And a great way to spend an afternoon," Corey put in.

"Mundanes," Amanda said. To Saki's blank look she added, "that's what pagans call others, non-magical folk, mundanes. Point is, it's not just shifters. Human pagans don't have hang ups about sex, either. It's just the mainstream people that think sex is bad or sinful or something."