Chapter 71

They left the school and headed to a small park on the edge of town. Aaron and most of his pack were already there, along with Jazzy's grandma and more than a dozen Skinwalkers. Kathy had masterminded a huge joint graduation party for Connor's and Tyee's packs. She had pitched it as though they were doing the Leidulf's a favor, there was food they couldn't take home to Iowa with them and besides they knew so few people in this community, it would be ridiculous for them to try to throw their own party.

It was a rouse, Brianna knew. Tyee and his pack had done so much, risked so much, to help them. They wanted to give them something back, some token of their thanks. But pride prevented the Skinwalkers from accepting anything.

Brianna also knew, having already graduated, that she would be a worker today, not a participant. Charley was already helping Mitch at the grill and Brianna broke from her pack to help him serve burgers and brats.

They served for an hour or so, then there was break. She felt Charley's arm enfold her from behind. He kissed her ear. "You are so beautiful," he said. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she admitted. She turned and buried her head in his chest. "I said I wasn't going to cry."

He stroked her hair. "I am sorry. I knew when this started...I mean pack is my life and that's not going to change. But you..."

"I knew that, too," she shot back. She looked up into his face, her eyes still wet. "My life is pack, too, you know. Besides I am not sad. I mean, I am, but not really. I got to fall in love. I got to spend months with you. I knew it would end, I knew it wasn't for ever. But I don't care. I am still glad we had what time we had." Thinking of what Marissa had said Brianna added, "some day we will get over being sad and we will both have a lot of good memories."

He cupped her face and smiled. "You are one wise woman," he laughed and kissed her.