Chapter 73

"We will be leaving first thing tomorrow," Aaron was telling the elder as Amanda, Connor and Tyee converged on the group. "We will be out of your hair for good."

Connor stood beside his father. The elder nodded. "You have treated us fairly, far more than these other tribes," the elder conceded. "For that you have my thanks."

"And I apologize that you had to be involved in any of this," Aaron said. "And I thank you for letting my son stay all this time, helping with his mission. This summer at the council..."

The elder gave an angry shake of his head. "No," he said.

Aaron waited patiently for him to speak again.

"I want nothing to do with these other tribes. I will not be part of this council."

"This council is only to discuss the possibility of a treaty with all werewolves in the Midwest. I don't approve of this Fenrir, for obvious reasons," Aaron said. "But to meet about creating a larger peace might still be worth it. Perhaps we can create a treaty that doesn't give them dominance."

"No," the elder repeated, "I want no treaties with any of them."

Connor watched his father closely. Aaron looked like he was about to say something more and then he let it go. They had been discussing the council for the last week. They would need every ally they could get and they had counted on having the Skinwalkers on their side now.

Connor felt a shoulder bump. "The elder speaks for the tribe as a whole," Tyee said. "But he can not command individual packs against their will." He held out his hand to Connor. "At this council, and after, whatever happens, call me, Brother, and I will come."

Connor took the offered hand. "You too, Brother. If ever you need, call me. I will come."