Chapter 35

"This is really cool," Brianna said to Charley. He beamed and put his hand on the small of her back, leading her towards a second display of artefacts. His hand felt nice. She looked up into his warm brown eyes and then away, blushing. She inspected the artefacts.

The Shoshone Bannock Community Center was a long one story building. They had been offered space next door at the casino, Charley had told her, but Moth turned them down. It wouldn't have set the right tone for a protest.

Two long rectangular tables on either side of the room were laden with artefacts, from stone arrow heads to beadwork dresses. They were mostly replicas, recently created by tribe members or archeologist at the local college as projects.

The artefacts in dispute were a hundred years old or more, items taken by soldiers or found by early settlers after the Shoshone had been driven from their lands. They were currently on display at the tiny town museum in Blackfoot, Idaho. Moth and her group wanted them moved to the reservation's own museum.

Brianna hadn't seen what the big deal was. Did it really matter if they were in a museum here or a few miles down the road? But Moth had given a good slideshow presentation about the issue. Those artefacts had cultural and spiritual value to the Shoshone people. The old excuse, that they needed to be preserved for the future, was just an excuse now that the reservation had it's own museum with a professional curator. Besides stealing was stealing, no matter how many generations ago it happened.

The exit to the conference room was at the end of the second table. A third table had been set up just outside. On it was a collection of smaller pieces of jewellery for sale. The proceeds would help offset the legal costs of getting the artefacts back.

Moth and her alpha mate, Tommy, were behind the table. Tommy was a huge man, with broad shoulders. His face was open and he was as laid back as she was intense.

Jazzy was in front of the table, chatting with Erica. Jonathan and Tanner were inspecting the necklaces on the table. Just inside the room, Connor and Amanda were deep in conversation with Tyee and his mate, Saki.

Brianna caught a snatch of the conversation as they passed by. Connor was describing the church at the Leidulf camp. "To know we had this pagan heritage, and we lost it," Connor was saying. "It gives me so much respect for what you guys are trying to do, to protect your heritage."

Moth was watching her closely as she and Charley left the room and came over to the table.

"That was a very good presentation," Brianna told her.

"Thanks," she said. Her eyes narrowed as if to show she wasn't going to be won over so easily.

An elderly white man selected a pair of earrings for his wife, who stood stiffly at his side. He dropped the money on the table and they headed for the entrance of the community center.

Moth muttered something about "cultural appropriation."

"Money for our fund," Tommy corrected.

"Cultural appropriation," Jazzy declared, "is when white people steal our land, build houses on that land and then decorate them in native art because they respect our culture so much. These people have come to support our cause. That's not the same thing at all."

"I would like to support your cause," Brianna said. She reached for her purse, trying to remember how much cash she had.

She felt Charley's hand over hers. "If I recall, somebody just had a birthday," he said. She froze. He slid a five dollar bill out of his pocket and threw it at Tommy. He selected a bone choker. "Hold your hair up," he commanded.

She did as she was told and he carefully placed the choker around her neck and tied it in place. She shivered when his hand touched her neck. She looked into his eyes and smiled.

"It looks good on you, very good," he said.

"Thanks," she gushed at him, "you didn't have to do that."

He shrugged. "I always say, if you get a chance to do something nice for a beautiful lady, you'd better do it."

"Oh," Jazzy squawked and spun around. "Yeah. You said I could have something, for helping with planning and set up."

Moth nodded. "I did."

"And now I can pay somebody back for these," Jazzy said, tapping the sunglasses that were currently slid into her belt. She looked over the table and found a brightly coloured beaded necklace. "It's practically a rainbow," she said. "And we all know what that symbolises."

Erica held still while Jazzy put the necklace on her. "These zig zag patterns are like arrowheads. A warrior design, for my rainbow warrior." Erica smiled and blushed. When the necklace was on Jazzy took Erica's hand. "Come'on, I got something I want to show you."

They were serving food, snacks mostly, in the foyer area. Brianna and Charley joined Jay and Courtney. They talked for awhile and then the rest of the pack and most of Tyee's pack came out and joined them. Jay and Courtney excused themselves to find the restroom and Brianna and Charley moved off to talk in private for awhile.

Standing at the edge of the foyer they saw Jay and Courtney coming back down a deserted hallway, laughing.

"What's so funny?" Brianna asked as they went by.

"Erica and Jazzy," Jay replied with a twinkle in his eye.

"Jazzy wanted to show Erica something," Charley said, looking down the hall.

"Yeah, her tongue," Courtney laughed. "They are down in one of the empty conference rooms making out."

"OMG," Brianna said, fighting back the giggles. Charley laughed. "Umm, Charley?" she said as the other two headed back into the foyer. She blushed and her heart raced. "Do you think there's another open room? Cuz there's something I want to show you."

Charley laughed so hard he fell into her. He pushed her against the wall, their bodie's close. "I swear, I will break into one of the offices if I have to," he said. He grabbed her hand. "Come'on."