Chapter 28

"Hey guys," Jazzy called out as Amanda and her gang left the school that Friday afternoon. She came bounding out of the crowd over to them. Erica stepped forward to meet her. Amanda smiled and slid her arm around Connor's. She glanced at him, a smirk on her face. Erica had "taken a shine" as Aunt Maggie would say, to Jazzy, that much was clear.

"What's up, Jazzy?" Erica asked.

"I, umm, got you guys something. Well, it's kind of a favor," she said. She had a folded sheet of paper. She looked around to see if any of the regular high school students were listening. Only her pack mates, Mark and Raven were standing nearby. "I mean I know you guys are here to search for Amanda's uncle and all, but there's a big storm coming this weekend and the passes are likely to be closed up several weeks after. So, anyway, if you can't get out next weekend, we are doing this protest thing."

Erica was unfolding the paper and inspecting the flyer.

"The local museum has some artefacts that rightfully belong to our tribe. They wouldn't give them back years ago because they said we didn't have any way to preserve them and they are valuable for history. Well, we have our own museum on the rez now, and they still don't want to give them back. So we are holding this big pow-wow / protest sort of thing. Figure if we can show lots of public support, they'll have to reconsider."

Erica handed the sheet to Amanda. She inspected it, feeling torn. "I was kind of hoping to check out some of the lower parks, see if there was any chance he came down off the mountain yet. But it doesn't sound like we'll even be able to do that this weekend."

"Next weekend might be our first chance to get out," Connor finished.

"I'm sorry, dude," Raven put in. "Not likely. They're talking some big snows Saturday, Sunday and even Monday. Then maybe more snow later in the week. They'll dig out the town early next week, but they won't get plows into the parks for a couple weeks, likely."

Amanda let out a growl of frustration.

"If we can get out, that's our first priority," Tanner said, trying to make peace, "but if we can't get out of town anyway, sure why not? It would be interesting."

"And I'd love show my support," Erica said to Jazzy.

Feeling defeated, Amanda nodded. "Of course, if we can't get out to search, we'll go."