15. holy ground

"spinning like a girl in a brand new dresswe had this big wide city all to ourselves

we had this big wide city all to ourselves."

Sarah arrived after talking to her father, puffy eyes as she confessed "You guys were right. It didn't work." She sniffled, glancing back to see her sister sitting on her own. Away from them "What's up with her?"

Everyone glared at JJ, who pressed his lips into a thin line "I told her the truth. She broke down. Then, asked for some time alone." She nodded, understanding. Evelyn looked back at Sarah, disappointed because she didn't tell her the truth from the beginning. But maybe, not even she could bring herself to do so, and even was glad JJ was the one to say it so she didn't have to "Welp, then that settles it, guys." JJ said again, "Now, y'all need to load up in the paddy wagon and get the heck out of Dodge right now."

"Right, you'll need supplies, and you'll have to split as soon as possible." Pope added.

"Guys, I think it's too late." Everyone glanced where Kie did, the police approaching them.

"They followed you here?" John asked Sarah as Evelyn glanced in their direction, quickly standing up "Must've been your father."

"We have to find another way out." Pope spoke quickly.

"Stay on the beach with your hands in the air!" One of the officers said over a megaphone.

"Go now! Go!" Pope shouted as Evelyn waved her arms around.

"Come here!" They all ran to her direction, following her as she tried to guide them out of there. John held Sarah, who had difficulty running on her own. They passed the water.

"Behind the tree!" John told them all, Evelyn standing next to JJ, grabbing his hand for support. He glanced down at it, and then back at her.

"We're trapped. They surrounded us." Pope informed the group.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." Jocelyn muttered under her breath.

"Freeze!" They heard an officer shout.

"What do we do?" Pope asked them.

"There's no getting out of it. We gotta make a stand." JJ kissed the blonde by his side's head before dropping her hand. She glanced at his hands to see why, watching him dry the gun he always carried. When he clocked it, John B quickly grabbed it, after having been looking about.

He tossed the gun to the ground, looking at his best friend directly "It's gonna be all right. Here we go." JJ looked down, hiding the gun under the dirt.