19. peace

"our coming-of-age has come and gonesuddenly the summer, it's clear

suddenly the summer, it's clear."

Evelyn had her arms crossed around her chest, being on top of the van while the rest stood in front of her inside of the water. Their heads were low as she spoke, "Who said it was a bad idea?"

"You." They all replied at the same time.

"Who did not listen and now we're stuck?"

They all sighed "Us."

She hummed "Exactly. Speed is your friend, my ass."

JJ nodded "Fair enough."

"Okay, maybe we can walk from here." Pope suggested.

"What? And leave the Twinkie? The... the tide's coming in." John B tried to reason, not wanting to lose his car.

"So then what are we supposed to do?" Sarah wondered.

"Not stay here." JJ replied.

"I'm with Pope." Evelyn commented.

"Yeah, we should totally leave now." Jocelyn agreed.

"I can take my dad's truck." Kie spoke, not looking at her sister.

"And then get banned from breathing? Absolutely not, Kiara." Her older sister crossed her arms, arching an eyebrow while she sighed.

"How much worse can it get, you know?" She asked lowly, both sisters sharing a conflicted look.

"We need something to pull her out with. There's the winch at the Château. That's, like, two miles." JJ remarked.

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Sarah told him, smiling softly at the blond she was starting to love like a brother.

"If you're gonna do it, let's go, okay?" JB said "Tide's coming in. Twinkie's going underwater."

"Wait, I'm coming with you." Jocelyn told them, glancing back at her best friend "You coming or what?" She asked her best friend, who glanced between her sister and her boyfriend with a conflicted look.

"I'll be fine." Sarah reassured her. Evelyn nodded, getting down with the help of JJ, who held her bridal style so she didn't get any dirt on herself.

While the Carrera sisters got inside of the house to steal the keys, the couple watched out outside. Evelyn glanced worriedly at her best friend as she followed her sister "Hey, are you ok?" She turned to JJ, who frowned at her.