26. getaway car

""x" marks the spot where we fell aparthe poisoned the well, i was lying to myself

he poisoned the well, i was lying to myself."

EVELYN never thought she would have to climb up a brick wall in order to save her best friend. She had always imagined she would end up like every other Kook, smocking expensive cigarettes and drinking early in the morning. Of course, because it wasn't cheap beer, but mimosas, champagne, rosé, she wouldn't look like a drunk. She would be high class while the people from the Cut could do the same and be the lowest of the lowest. And even after years of spending money on things she knew she didn't need, she had ended up like all of them. A Pogue. But, her friends and her seemed like a different breed.

All the other Pogues spent their life working, lived very normally, raised their families and died. Others would drink themselves dead, or maybe drug themselves dead. But her Pogues and herself weren't like that. No. They actually lived, or that's what they told themselves so they wouldn't think about how dangerous everything they did ever was. So, as JJ helped her get to the other side of the tall wall, both immediately dropping to the ground as everyone else followed. She told herself this was just another adventure they were living. Euphoria running through her veins as they managed to snick into the house of Carlos Singh. She tried not to think about how stupid it really was.

The moment she did, panic would be too much to handle. And she couldn't stop thinking about getting to the Carrera sisters. Her anxiety didn't matter at the moment. Pope spoke up, snapping her out of her thoughts, "Oh, man. Okay. Portis wasn't kidding."

"No, that's a fortress. This is much bigger than Ward." John B commented as they stared up at the house. Some people could be seen working at the property, and others seemed like bodyguards with guarding dogs next to them.

"We got two towers, patrollers, ATVs, possibly snipers." JJ pointed out.

Sarah, who was next to him, shook her head slightly, "There's no way we're getting past that."

"We gotta help them. We gotta help them. We can take them if we stay towards the tree line." Cleo said before standing up, leaving free space between Sarah and John B.

Evelyn looked up to see her running away, "Hey, no! Get back!" When JJ followed her, Evelyn turned to her sister who cursed under her breath, saying, "I hate him." Then, the two sisters ran behind them, holding hands as they tried not to trip.

Silence had fell after Carlos had told the Carrera sisters what he wanted. The diary. Of course. They hadn't muttered a word, and they weren't planning on doing so. They had shared a subtle glance, once only they could understand. Their lips were sealed, they wouldn't take the diary from Pope in order to save themselves, no. They were leaving before that could happen. Besides, their friends had to be close, right? Jocelyn, who had been previously standing besides her sister, had finally taken a seat. She fiddled with her fingers, wondering where the Pogues were. Unknown to them both, they were closer than they could imagine.