23. invisible

"like shadows in a faded lightoh we're invisible

oh we're invisible."

Free. That was how Jocelyn felt at Poguelandia. She didn't have to fear her parents, nor anyone who dared hurt her. Her sister was besides her, safe and happy. Neither of them wanted to go home, truly. Or, at least, what they used to call home. Because then, home for them was wherever the Pogues went. Her best friend was also there, far away from a family that was closer to madness than to reality. And the rest of her friends, they were with them, all with their own concerns, yet happy to be there. JJ seemed to be the person who took everything the best, as he had adapted quickly to their new life. After he named the island Poguelandia, not listening to any of the other suggestions that his friends gave away, he took his time to create the flag he had been obsessed over a month.

The Carrera sisters and Evelyn watched him as he climbed up a palm tree, the flag now hanging from it. The girls cheered, Kiara saying aloud, "You did it, J! Poguelandia!" He screamed out, his girlfriend laughing as Jocelyn made excited sounds, "It's perfect!"

"You like it, baby?" He asked aloud at Evelyn, climbing down to meet her at the sand. Once he jumped, making a weird sound as he did so, he quickly wrapped his arms around her. The Carrera sisters exchanged a glance before taking several steps back, leaving them alone.

Evelyn grinned at him, making his heart melt, "Surprisingly enough, I do." She gave him a soft kiss before he stepped besides her, an arm safely placed around her waist as they stared up at his creation. Then, she turned back to him, saying in a soft tone, "Come on. I promised Lynn I was gonna help with the spears." JJ nodded, his hands on her hips as he walked behind her, meeting the Carrera sisters before going hunting.

Jocelyn couldn't help but stare at his hands, taking notice of how protective he had been of Evelyn as of late. It wasn't enough that she was becoming more paranoid each day, but he couldn't fathom the idea of her slipping through his fingers. So, it was hard for him to stay away from her for long, after a whole month spending each day by her side. She smiled at them anyway, worried for both but trying to play it cool, "Hey, Lynn. Will you give me a hand?" She nodded, sitting besides her on top of a palm tree.

It had surprised everyone how good Evelyn was at creating spears for hunting, often preparing them for JJ. She didn't want to go hunting, finding it disgusting, but she enjoyed the spear part. The other three watched in amusement as she tied the stone blade into the stick. Kiara shook her head slightly with a smile, "How are you so good at it?" She wondered.

Evelyn shrugged with a smug smile, "I'm multitalented, Kiki." She rolled her eyes with a soft smile in response, not hating the nickname as much as she had claimed at first.

Jocelyn chuckled, before remembering something she had planned to tell her best friend in the morning. Once they arrived at the island, she had created a calendar in a palm tree, to know which day it was. So, she said, "Hey, isn't your birthday soon?" Evelyn glanced up at her with a frown. It was October already, which didn't only shock her, but it also saddened her.