24. haunted

"it's getting  dark and it's all too quietand i can't trust anything now

and i can't trust anything now."

Evelyn was safely wrapped by JJ's arms, and even then, she couldn't sleep peacefully. She had awaken from a nightmare a few hours ago. This time, nobody noticed. So, she stayed there, ear against JJ's heart, to remind herself that he was still there. Morning was coming, which meant that soon everyone would be awake as well. She would have to pretend to awake at the same time as them, like she had done dozens of times. But this time, something different happened. Evelyn could hear an engine, making her sit up slightly. JJ grunted slightly, but he was too tired to fight against her as she stood slowly.

Whenever one of the Cameron sisters claimed to see or hear something, they would just tell her it was their imagination. But as Evelyn walked further towards the beach, and she heard someone behind her move. She knew that this time, it wasn't her mind playing games on her. Turning around, she saw Pope, sat up and looking at her with wide eyes, "Please, tell me you hear that too." She whispered, a slight undertone of fear in her voice.

He nodded as he stood, going to stand besides her. Both looked up at the sky, her eyes tearing up as Pope said aloud, "Plane." He turned to the rest as Jocelyn groaned, sitting up.

"Too early. Back to bed." She said to them before falling back onto her makeshift mattress.

Pope ignored her words, while Evelyn couldn't tear her eyes away from the plane, "Guys. Guys, guys, wake up. There's a plane." He panted, before running away to lit up something he and Cleo had made up. In case they could be rescued sometime.

"Guys, wake the hell up." Cleo had said when she realised too. Before running after Pope. JJ opened his eyes, surprised not to see his girlfriend by his side. He found her standing still, slightly shaking. Jocelyn finally sat up, blinking away her sleepiness.

"Oh shit." JJ said as he stood, "Johnny, wake up. Get up." He said as he passed by his friend.

Jocelyn approached Evelyn, softly placing a hand on her arm. The blonde flinched, jumping back. Her friend held her arms up, gulping, "It's not your dad." She assured, knowing exactly what was going on inside her head.

Evelyn shook her head slightly, "What if he is?" Sarah and Kiara joined their sisters, the former grabbing her sister's hand. The Cameron sisters held eye contact, silently telling each other how terrified they were. It was broken when JJ stood besides them, his eyes hardened. None of them wanted to go back to the OBX, only John B, Pope and Cleo. So, they stayed behind John B, who was very enthusiastic about being rescued. Evelyn's hands were occupied by both her sister and her boyfriend. While the Carrera sisters stood besides each other, with Jocelyn having an arm wrapped around her sister's shoulders, and Kiara having one around her waist.

"Hey! Hey, we're over here!" John B shouted, waving his arms around, "Over here! Hey! We're right here! Come on, come on, come on."

"Hey!" Kiara joined him, although she wasn't as enthusiastic as him. She understood that they couldn't be in there forever, even if that was what she wanted the most, "Hey!"