Keith Richards

No Expectations

Pairing: Keith Richards x reader

Genre: my miserable attempt at angst

Summary: (y/n) toured with the stones as a groupie. Now they're back in London, and it's time for Keith and (y/n) to part. They both knew it would end like this, but neither thought they would get attached.

Warnings: language, the pov switches a bit, i hope it isn't too confusing. also not proofread.

Note: this was so much better in my head. anyways, enjoy.

"Are you sure you don't want to stay for a few more days?" He asked, "I could get you a hotel in the city or-"

"No," (y/n) shook her head sadly. "Tours over, and it's time to move on. Plus you've got a whole other life here."

"Then where are you going to stay?"

"I've got some friends in Blackpool. I'll stay with them for a few nights, then I'll go back to Hamburg. Or I'll stay in the UK. I don't know yet."

"Friends like me?" He asked, trying to be subtle.

"Jealous?" She smirked.

Keith opened his mouth to say something in his defense, but stopped when he realized she was joking.

"He was my best friend in college" (y/n) laughed.

Keith laughed too, but it sounded much more forced than he hoped.

"Well, then at least let me walk you to the station," He offered.

(y/n) pondered this for a moment, "Fine."

༺ ༻

No one recognized them as they walked arm in arm into the station. Everyone was too busy with their own troubles to notice much. It gave them the air of privacy (y/n) had felt they lacked when they were out and about on tour. It didn't take long to buy the ticket, and soon she was standing on the platform with the train already waiting. Over the intercom, a voice ordered everyone to board. Hesitantly, she turned to Keith to say goodbye.

"One last kiss?" He smirked.

"Keith-"

His tone softened, "Please?"

How could she say no?

The kiss was rough and desperate, neither wanted to be the one to break it. Keith's arms were wrapped tightly around her waist, holding as close as possible. (y/n) tangled her hands in his dark hair. Her surroundings turned into a blur of light and shadow, of whispers and muffled footsteps, but everything else was as sharp as glass. She could feel Keith's lips on hers, his warm breath fanning across her face. Every nerve in her body tingled as he held her tighter.

"EVERYONE ABOARD THE 484 TO BLACKPOOL. DEPARTURE IN TWO MINUTES," The intercom boomed.

Finally they broke apart. (y/n) kept her arms draped around his neck, not wanting the moment to end. Keith pressed a chaste kiss to her lips and bent down to pick up her bag.

"I've got it," She said, taking the suitcase from him.

"So this is it?"

"I guess so."

"Thank you for coming along," He said.

"I should be the one thanking you," (y/n) smiled, "I'll never forget it."

"Me neither."

A silence fell between them, broken only when the conductor tapped (y/n) on the shoulder and asked if she was boarding.

(y/n) climbed on board, stowing away her suitcase and sliding into the seat by the window. As she looked out onto the platform, she could still see Keith standing there. They stayed like that for a long time, just watching each other. Separated only by a window, they were worlds apart already.

The train whistled and conductors had shooed everyone on board, but the doors were still open. Keith suddenly felt the urge to board the train and leave with her. It took an insane amount of control to stay rooted to the spot. She wouldn't want you to come, he told himself, She made it clear that it ends now.

(y/n) was still smiling at him through the window and the train doors slid close with a hiss, destroying the option to follow her. The train pulled out of the station and Keith let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. 

She was gone. 

For good.

Probably never to return. When the lights finally disappeared in the dark tunnel, he turned around and melted into the crowd that shuffled through the station.

Tunnel lights flashed rhythmically past the window, lighting the train in a sharp white light for a second and then plunging it into darkness again. The lights were too dim for reading, so (y/n) was left alone with her thoughts. Sadly, instead of anticipating her arrival in Blackpool, or feeling the soft adrenaline rush of traveling at night, her mind was fixated on one thing only. Keith.

(y/n) cursed herself. She knew it would end like this, she had prepared herself for this very moment. Why did it still hurt so fucking much? Maybe because (y/n) had been lying to herself the whole time. They both had. Keith made jokes about her staying in London with him. Or about her joining the Stones just so they could keep going on tours together. It was funny at the time. How could those ideas not seem ridiculous when you're sitting on a balcony in Barcelona looking out onto the ocean? But even then there had been a little voice in the back of her mind telling her that maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he was serious. In the end, all things must pass. And pass they did, the days of concerts and clubs and buses and strange cities just begging to be explored.

(y/n) had expected no less. But what was she to do? Every time she came close to ending things, she would look into his soft brown eyes, hear his voice, and she would melt. (y/n) couldn't help it, she loved him. Is that what you could call it? There had been an instant connection between the two. Every time (y/n) looked at him, or felt his arms around her, her stomach would explode with a million butterflies and when he kissed her, nothing else mattered. His presence intoxicated her. All that mattered was him and he was there, with her.

But now their chapter, no matter how brief, was over. It had happened, and now it was done, and (y/n) was left with only the memory. And that memory would fade and one day become no more than a brief flash of recognition she would get when she heard the Stones play. It was over, for better or for worse, and she had to accept that. But how could she if she could still taste his kiss on the tip of her tongue?