1. The Betrayal

It hurts

It hurts.

It hurts so fucking bad.

I never thought a broken heart could break again. No, not broken, shattered. Shattered into a million pieces.

I couldn't escape the vice like grip that the invisible hand had on my throat. Shakily I brought my right hand to my throat and stroked it in an attempt to soothe myself.

All I wanted to do in that moment was to scream. Scream until my throat was too raw to continue.

My vision became blurry. I licked my lips and tried to calm myself. My heart beat became audible to me and my face felt hot. My usual trick of forcing a smile on my face did nothing to cheer me. This was one of those moments when I couldn't fake it till I made it. I just couldn't.

It hurt so bad. So fucking bad.

I need proof.

Pulling my phone out of my purse seemed like a herculean task to my shaky hands. I turned the camera on. Then I watched through the camera lens.

I watched like a fucking creep as my boyfriend kissed the engaged woman like she was his first breath of oxygen after being underwater for a long time.

My nails dug into my cheek painfully as I kept a death grip on my mouth. No doubt slicing my skin, but that was the only thing stopping me from screaming like a fucking banshee.

They pulled back and stared into each other's eyes. Somehow the look cut deeper than the physical betrayal. Almost like two magnets they pulled each other back. This time they pulled away much faster and he began to kiss her neck. Hearing her moan broke away whatever restraint I had. I let out an involuntary pained whimper.

Immediately they pulled back and turned to me.

"Shit. Riley, it's not..."

"She was recording us! Ian, get that!"

I quickly pressed the power button and shoved it back in my pocket. I couldn't stay there. I had to leave. I slowly backed a little more into the hallway before turning and running.

My eyes were too blurry for me to able to see anything. It didn't matter. I just knew I had to run away. That's it. That's all I cared about.

Run.

Leave.

Run.

I ran as fast as I could ignoring my swollen foot and the footsteps behind me. I knew he could have caught up to me if he wanted to. But he didn't want to.

He didn't want me. He never did.

I collided into something.

No, someone.

The person somehow managed to not fall over and steadied me with their hands. I looked up still trying to blink away my tears.

"Hey, Riley. Are you okay?" The familiar voice was soft like he didn't know what to do.

A humourless chuckle left my mouth. He looked confused at first. Then his blue eyes widened. "Riley, what did you see?" His hands stayed on my shoulders.

"Let her go, Jonah." Ian's voice sounded really close.

Jonah.

Jonah Maston. The guy whose engagement we were at. The guy who was getting engaged to Hayley.

Hayley Colton, the highest selling painter of the country. Hayley Colton, who was wrapped around Ian like a fancy glove on a rich woman's hand, just a second ago.

Rubbing my eyes and blinking to clear them of tears, I turned around. Jonah's hands fell off my shoulders.

"Riley, baby, please listen to me." Ian pleaded. His beautiful hazel eyes flitted between me and the man behind me. "Riles, listen to me."

Before I could say anything, Jonah asked angrily, "Where is Hayley?"

Ian ignored him. He ran his pale hands through his gorgeous curly black hair, so similar to my own. My hands itched to touch it, to fix that mess he was making, like I always did. I wanted to reach out and fix his slightly askew blue tie that he insisted on wearing with his black suit.

It was supposed to match with my dress.

"Riley, come here." He opened his arms wide inviting me for a hug.

The fucking audacity of that man.

I felt Jonah's hands on my shoulders once again. His grip was painfully tight. "Where. Is. My. Fiancée?"

"I don't know, okay! I'm trying to talk to my girlfriend. Let her go and find your fiancée by yourself." Ian snapped.

I had enough of that asshole lying. I pulled my phone out and unlocked it with my fingerprint. It was still in the video camera mode. I opened the video quickly and held it to Jonah. Ian tried to grab it but I shoved him away. Jonah took it and played the video.

"Shit." Ian sweared under his breath before calling out to Hayley. "Hayley, come here. Fast."

It was as if Hayley was waiting for the cue. She immediately ran out of the room at the end of the hallway.

Her blond hair was tied up in a bun with a few locks left to frame her face. Her green eyes glared daggers at me as her coral lips pressed into a thin line. Her dark red high low dress clung to her body in a way that showed off  her physique.

She was stunning.

I could see why Ian couldn't stay away from her.

"Get off my fiancé." Hayley grit out.

"Ex-fiancé." Jonah replied. Hayley's expression morphed into one of panic. "Jonah what are you saying? Look whatever she told you isn't true. I..I love you." Jonah's grip tightened on my shoulders and I winced.

"Let go of her Maston. You're hurting her." Ian warned. Jonah's grip slackened immediately.

"Not nearly as much as you just did." I finally managed to speak up. But before I could say anything else, Jonah moved to stand in front of me. He grabbed my hand and sat on one of his knees.

"Riley, would you marry me?"

"Are you fucking serious?" Hayley screeched furiously at the same time as Ian growled,"Get away from her. You don't even know her full fucking name."

I took a moment to look at the man in front of me. His dark brown hair was styled well. His fitted dark grey suit looked gorgeous on his slightly tan skin. His icy blue eyes looked up at me questioningly.

I didn't understand why Hayley kept jumping between the two men. They were both gorgeous and powerful. It made no fucking sense to me. But that didn't matter because the answer to Jonah's question was simple. To me there was only one possible answer.

"Yes."