2. The Engagement

I was pissed

I was pissed.

I didn't even need to see that video to know what had transpired. Hayley always had a soft spot for Ian Tanner. He had become the bane of my existence.

"You know he's not that well off. And he was there for me when I needed him. We have to help him."

That's what Hayley said to me all those years ago. We had helped him. I had helped him. I had taken a risk with him.

Letting an unknown chef and his group cater for the first ever company event that I hosted as the CEO of my parents' company, was one hell of a gamble. Yes, it paid off. For both of us. Ian and me.

But I'd suffered losses in ways that could never be recovered. The higher Ian and his catering business rose, the more Hayley became invested in him. She kept taking breaks in our relationship to go be with him and I accepted everything just for her.

When she had said yes to marrying me, I thought it was finally over. She would finally be with me. Be completely mine as I would be hers.

But I was wrong.

So fucking wrong.

I didn't even realise what I was doing as I proposed Ian's girlfriend. The poor woman could hardly stand straight. She had hurt her ankle.

On purpose.

Even though she convinced everyone that she was just clumsy, I had seen her bang her foot against the table. Just so that Ian would have an excuse to get off the stage and not have to sing at our engagement. Just so that he wouldn't have to watch Hayley and I dancing to his song. A request that Hayley had made.

"Yes." She answered firmly. Her brown eyes clearly displayed her anger and determination.

I stood up still holding her hand. Her eyes suddenly narrowed at something behind me. "I swear to the heavens, if one of you moves or tries to do anything right now, I will break your fucking bones. I don't fucking care if I catch a case."

With that she turned around and pulled me along with her. I obliged as we turned the corner to enter the main hall. She limped her way to the area of the main hall that was decorated with red and white balloons for the engagement pictures.

We were supposed to take them in five minutes as we got publicly engaged. That's why I had gone to fetch Hayley. I shook my head at that thought.

Riley grabbed one of the microphones placed there and cleared her throat causing most people to turn around and face us. She looked nervous but it faded away almost immediately.

People started murmuring and I could hear some of them start to question why she was standing there. I decided to intervene.

I grabbed another microphone and called out, "Daniel? Bring out the rings."