11. Accepting the Challenge

The person Hayley fell in love with and my current self were very different

The person Hayley fell in love with and my current self were very different. She fell in love with the impulsive, reckless player who had zero regards for anyone or anything other his own self and happiness.

However, I couldn't afford to be that young reckless teenager anymore. Millions of people, nationally and internationally, depended on me. Being one of the most well reputed businessman meant that I had to work hard and barely had anytime for anyone. But even then I made time for Hayley but that didn't matter to her. About three weeks ago she broke my heart.

That's when Riley came into my life. I saw her as a way to move on from Hayley. Our relationship had become toxic and Riley was the breath of fresh air that I needed. I found myself foolishly believing that life gave me a second chance. Another chance at long term happiness.

Riley didn't see it like that. According to her, this marriage had one purpose only. Yes, I believed in that purpose too. But I hoped that it would have value beyond that purpose as well. That's what lead to that argument. But it was much needed. It gave me a new perspective to the stupid situation I had put myself in.

I knew I had to do something to stop thinking about my impulsive decision. I let my emotions take the wheel once after years of being calculative, and that messed everything up. I could have lived life as a bachelor but instead I was scheduled to get married the next week.

The last two weeks were a blur of working, attending appointments with vendors and avoiding Riley at the house.

So, I threw myself into work. Sure, my love life was in shambles but what's new about that? My professional life didn't need to suffer. I suppressed a groan as I took in the amount of files and paperwork piled up on my desk. Simon's desk wasn't in any better condition either.

He decided to move his desk into my office until at least the launch as that would cut down on the time it took to move from one office to another.

The launch.

It was hard to focus on anything else. Every department was working overtime to make sure the launch was perfect and on time. We couldn't screw it up. Our deal with Ivanov Corp. depended on how this particular launch went. And we needed that deal. Especially after Hayley started a smear campaign against me. Our sales were going down and hope for Maston Enterprises to make a come back, resided mostly on our new product.

Maston Enterprises produced a variety of products under different brand names but the most profitable one was Maston Tech. We produced the best quality cameras, televisions amd other electronic products along with several video games. Our latest product awaiting the launch was our high quality camera and the additional equipment that came along with it.

"Sir, we have a big problem." Simon's voice caused me to whip my head towards him. I furrowed my eyebrows. "What problem?"

"Miss Colton and Mr. Tanner are asking to not have their photos published. And so are Mr. and Mrs. James."