Chapter 8: Duchess of Bloodlust

Ariel

"Duchess Avira, you never told me about the aphrodisiac in Her Majesty's wine," Ariel muttered seriously while sitting beside Alarice's bed. "What are you trying to do?"

Ariel sharply glanced at the woman who was currently taking a deep sigh.

"I never thought that a meek and quiet concubine could possibly make that look," Avira muttered before curving a smile on her lips. "But to answer your question, I am doing this for the future of the empire."

"Her Highness needs to conceive an heir that will secure her lineage, this is one of her duties," Avira emphasized in her last word. "We don't care about who's going to be the father of the child. However, Her HIghness is not the type of person who cares about that kind of responsibility,"

"But you happened to piqued her interest. I am merely coveting this chance to help Her Highness."

Ariel clenched his delicate fist after hearing the duchess' explanation. There's a visible displeasure on his face as he darted his gaze at the cunning eyes of the Duchess.

"It doesn't mean that you could do anything as you please! What will you do if something happens to Her Highness? Have you ever think what will Her Highness feel when she finds it out?" Ariel asked.

Avira lowered her shoulders as she took a deep breath.

Indeed...

If the Empress wakes up, it will be very bad for her.

"I am aware, and I am ready to take the punishment when she wakes up," Avira answered with a calm tone. "There is no need to make a fuss about it, Her Majesty won't let me slip anyway."

Just take the punishment?

She's taking this lightly.

Ariel understood that Avira is the closest person to Alarice but Avira shouldn't cross the line of their master-servant relationship. She shouldn't just decide what's the better thing to do for the Empress.

Upon hearing the Duchess' response, Ariel's expression changed. His sapphire orbs glowed without noticing it himself. 

"Lady Avira," Ariel mumbled. "For you to take this lightly, are you challenging Her Majesty's position?"

Avira was surprised when she noticed the change in the Concubine's expression. This is the first time that she saw that kind of expression from the meek Concubine. 

That expression reminded her of a prey protecting their hatchling.

However...

That expression is not enough to scare a feral.

Instead of retracting her gaze, Avira decided to battle the Concubine's gazes. Her blood-red orbs fought the glaring sapphire of the Concubine. 

The look in her eyes shouted intimidation to Ariel, but despite of her intimidating gaze, Ariel didn't back down either.

"Do you think I am really taking this lightly?" Avira asked as she smiled mockingly at the Concubine. "You don't know what are you talking about, Concubine."

Her blood-red eyes glowed which revealed the oozing bloodlust of the Duchess.

Ariel's knees trembled because of the amount of Avira's bloodlust. 

From that moment, Ariel realized that Avira is a dangerous person.

That's right, this is the true nature of Duchess Avira who seemed like a nagging nanny of the Empress.