Chapter 1

I've always wondered how I got to this point in my life.The point where I've lost friends because of another, where I'm wrapped up into someone else's life and am the supporting character. Where I'm the sidekick.

I used to spend all my time doing things I love, you could always find me writing in my journal or working on a new outfit. Now I'm always with Peggy doing what she loves, like running or soccer or saving people. I'm not against that stuff, really,

Everything is always about Peggy. She's got pink hair that goes down to her mid-back that's always in a ponytail when she's running or playing soccer. Her brown eyes light up with brown specks when she's got an idea or when she finds something hilarious and can't wait to share it. And her olive skin that never burns but always gets the perfect tan. When we met she claimed me and has been my best friend ever since.

She spends a lot of time at my place but I can't blame her for that. Her mom left when she was young and her dad buries himself in work so he's never home. So mom took her in, cooks food for her, helps with homework and makes sure she heads home so she can be ready for the next day.

I shake my head as Peggy starts to slow down until she's next to me. "What are you thinking about?" she asks over the sound of the thumping of our feet hitting the pavement.

I smile. "Nothing."

She smirks. "Then you can pick your pace up or I'll have to beat you to your house."

I sigh. "Fine."

Before I can blink Peggy takes off, leaving me in the dust. I can never understand why it's always a race when she always wins. I don't let her win, she's just faster than me.

By the time I get home she's sitting on the steps already chugging a bottle of water. When I get to the bottom of the stairs she reaches behind her and flings one at me.

"Thanks," I say, catching it.

"You're welcome. I wouldn't have gotten you one if you would just beat me or at least not get so far behind."

I roll my eyes. "Can we just go in so I can die in air-conditioning?"

She shrugs. "Sure."

When we get in the house I kick my shoes off and head into the kitchen where I can hear mom banging around. She stands beside the stove glancing over at the pot that sits atop it. The little tv that sits on the granite island plays the news.

"Hey girls," she says when she notices us.

"Hi Angie!" Peggy exclaims, bounding over to her and giving her a hug.

"You're all sweaty!" mom gasps.

"We just went out for a run."

Mom twirls a lock of her brown hair around her finger. "No trouble?"

Peggy plops down onto one of the stools beside me. "None at all."

Mom sighs. "I'm glad. Star Bine does an amazing job keeping the city safe, but she isn't everywhere and I just don't want you girls running into trouble."

"We won't," I say, reaching over and placing a hand on her shoulder.

She smiles sadly. "I'm glad. I couldn't imagine ever having to be a superhero's mother and worrying so much."

Peggy shots me a secretive smile. I send her one back. Mom would worry if she knew about Peggy. But she doesn't. No one one but the two of us know. At one point it was three of us... but not anymore.

"Supper's ready!" mom sats as she takes the pot off the stove.

We each grab a bowl and pour ourselves a bit of soup each. Once we're all settled around the dining table – which is a small brown round table – mom turns to Peggy and asks, ""How'd the test go?"