Chapter 24

We wait until the light darkens around us before we start making our way to the palace. It's not pitch black out like it would be if it were midnight. It's more like a dark dusk light. It makes me want to get into comfy clothes and curl up in bed with a good book.

Just a little longer and I can do that.

After we save Peggy everything can go back to the way it was. My gut seems to swim at the thought of that. Do I really want everything to go back to the way it was before? I glance over at Cam. I don't want to lose him again, is that what saving Peggy would mean? Losing myself and my best friend again?

"This way," Om says when we approach the palace and its bush gate.

I almost want to roll my eyes at the gate. It won't bother keeping anyone out. A piece of what Za said during his announcement floats back to me. If I had completed the ritual before my parents had died none of this would be happening. I reach out and grab Om's hand before they can duck into the bush. "What did Za mean about completing a ritual?"

Om tries to rip their hand from my grip. "I'm not sure I know what you're asking."

"I think you do." I tighten my grip. "He said that if his connection with Tace had been completed then none of this would be happening. What does he mean by that? What connection?"

"I'm not sure." They grit their teeth as their gaze focuses on our hands.

"Mats?" Cam glances between the two of us. Even with the fear in his voice telling me to let go, I can't. Something doesn't feel right here.

"Is he talking about the connection that you share with Tace? Did you take it?"

Oms face flies up to meet mine. Their eyes are wide with water glistening in them. "Maybe! I don't know! Mattie please!"

Their eyes flick back and forth.

"Mattie!" Cam cries.

Something tells me that Om isn't telling us the whole truth. I want to believe them. I know I should since they've made everything up to us since their first betrayal. But there's something in the back of my mind nagging at me not to.

I pull them closer. "I really hope you aren't lying again." Then I huff out a breath and release their hand a little rougher than I mean to.

I run my hands through my hair.

Om rubs their hand. "All I know is that the royal family is supposed to be connected to Tace in some way. That they pass it down from generation to generation, but that something stopped Za from getting it."

"And you're sure you don't have that connection?"

They shake their head. "I'm not royalty."

I bite my lip. "Alright." I don't know what to say. I want to believe them because I don't think that they'd lie about something like that. But then where did they get the connection they have with Tace? Om told us that they're the only one who has something like it.

"Can we continue?" Cam whispers. He glances over his shoulder. "I feel like we're being watched."

I turn around and stare into the darkness that now surrounds us. The only light that shines through it are the ones from huts a good ways away or from the few firelights that float around. I squint my eyes, hoping that maybe I'll be able to make out a shape of some sort but I find nothing. I shrug and turn back to Cam. "There's no one out there."

He rubs his arms. "If you say so." But he continues to look through the dark like he might be able to see something I couldn't.

"Let's go," Om says. "We don't have time to worry about what could be out there."