Chapter 28

Za takes a deep breath as the rest of us share anxious glances.

Peggy runs her hands through her hair like she's trying to comb it out. She cringes anytime her hand gets stuck in a spot. I want to reach out and tell her she has nothing to worry about but I have no idea if that would be a lie or not. And would she even deserve my comfort? My friendship? I sigh. I wish this wasn't coming up now. I wish that this could be something for me to figure out after all of this is done. But it's not. It's something that's happening now. That I have to think about now. What kind of friendship are we going to have now? If we even continue to have one.

I shake my head, trying to shake off the thoughts. I need to focus.

Cam rubs his hands together and then blows on them like he's cold. If it weren't for Pegggy being kidnapped me and Cam would probably never have talked again. We would have just kept avoiding each other and never speaking. Always sneaking little glances at each other. So, in a weird way, I feel like I should thank Za for that.

A shaky smile makes its way on my face as I look at Om. That's another reason why I should thank him. If it weren't for Peggy being dragged here I wouldn't have met Om. Sure, Om wasn't the greatest when we first met but they've changed since then. And I have too. Thanks to this whole situation, and Om, and Cam, I've grown. I know that when we get back home I won't be able to fit back into my old life.

I take a deep breath. I know I have a lot of changes to make when this is all over.

"Are we ready?" Za asks, bringing me back to the present.

I look at Om. They take a deep breath and close their eyes before nodding. "I am."

Za looks at Cam. Cam nods. Then he looks at Peggy.

She shrugs. "I guess."

I sigh. It's better than her refusing to do it, so I'll take it as a win.

"And you?" He turns to me.

I nod. This is the first time this whole adventure that I've felt ready.

Za nods. He closes his eyes and starts to chant words that I don't understand. I glance around the circle. Cam is watching me with wide eyes. I try to smile to reassure him everything will be fine. Peggy has her gaze trained on Za. I'm sure she's waiting for his signal and to take off and save the day. Om fiddles with their hands. Their eyes are closed and their mouth moves but no words come out. Is Om chanting with Za? Or are they saying something else?

My gaze snaps away from Om and back to Za as a glow appears to surround him. The circle that stands beneath him and surrounds him has started to glow a bright white. The light stays on his circle as it grows and reaches out toward the line that connects to Om's circle. Then from there three bright lights appear and travel toward mine, Peggy's and Cam's circle. The glow lights up the space, blinding my gaze as it connects each part.

I cover my eyes at the same time Za opens his and points at Peggy. I almost think she'll miss the signal but when my eyes are clear of the black spots her spot is empty. All that's left in her place is a cloud of dust that has begun to rest.

My legs jerk as if to follow her. And some part of me wants to go after her. To see her save the day while keeping all the bystanders safe.

But I can't.

I need to stay here. To support Tace. To help Om. To make sure Cam and I are okay again. To make sure the spell will go well. For me.

I close my eyes and count to ten. When I open them again Za is no longer standing. The bright light that had surrounded us is dimmer now. Cam's eyes are wide. He stands closer to the edge of his circle than he had been before. Om's words waver as they lay their gaze on Za.