Chapter 20

After that little fight I don't know how to feel. There's no way it was actually about me. I just can't bring myself to believe that. So instead of focusing on what might be my problem - which it really isn't - I'm outside with Qu and Om waiting for Cam to finish getting cleaned up so we can head off.

We already wasted some of the day by staying here this late into the morning. And with King Za making his announcement sometime today we don't have much time. "How long did you say we had left to go?" I ask again for what feels like the millionth time. But I can't help myself. If King Za's announcement could have any clue or help us find Peggy I don't want to miss it. I'm not sure if it even will but considering I'm no longer getting any note clues from her kidnapper I think this is our next best shot.

"It's about a day's travel from here," Qu answers.

I groan. "We're never going to get there in time."

Om chuckles. I look over at them to see a smirk on their face.

"What?" I ask. I cross my arms over my chest and raise an eyebrow.

They shake their head. "It's nothing."

"No." I frown. "You're hiding something. What are you hiding?"

They sigh heavily. Then spin to face me but there's a shine to their eyes that tell me it wasn't ever going to be hard to get this information out of them. "So, if we walk on foot to reach the capital it'll take us a day. Which will take us to a time after King Za has made his announcement."

I nod my head. This is all stuff that I figured out myself. It's really just common sense about time.

"So we would never make it in time. But there is one way that we can shorten the trip to take half the time."

"How's that?" I drop my arms to my sides.

"Well there's one creature in all of Tace that can travel the fastest."

My eyes widen as I think I know what animal they're talking about.

Om smile grows to the point where their teeth start to show. "I've asked Tace for a little bit of help and it's agreed to help by giving us some wisters to ride!"

I can't help the little squeal that escapes me. "You mean I get to ride another one?!"

Om nods.

My smile grows to the point where my checks start to ache. I can't believe that I get to ride a wister again! And this time it isn't because I'm in pain. Which means I can sit up the whole time and actually see where I'm going and probably enjoy the ride a little more. "That's awesome!" I exclaim.

Om blushes. "I thought you might like that."

"What might she like?" a deep voice asks.

I spin around to see Cam exiting the cottage.

"You took forever." I roll my eyes at him.

He chuckles. "Sorry, not sorry. I haven't been able to bathe in a few days and I was not about to pass up a long one when I don't even know when I'll get another one."

I chuckle. "I feel you there."

"Anyways, what did I miss that has you so excited?" He pokes my shoulder and I swat his hand away.

"I was able to convince Tace to let us ride some wisters so we can get to the capital." Om puffs their chest out.

I swear I see stars pop into Cam's eyes. "You've got to be kidding me!" he exclaims. "I was so jealous that Mattie got to ride one and now you're telling me I get to ride one?"