Chapter 29

I take a deep breath as I find my footing on the twisted root bridge. My arms are out to help me keep my balance so I don't fall. I slide my foot forward, careful to not rock too much to one side and possibly slip and fall to my death.

I try my best to not look down. I don't need to see the never-ending sky that I would keep falling down into. Never stopping. Would the impact of the wind kill me before I hit something solid?

I look up as I shake the thoughts off. I can't think like that. I don't have much root bridge left so I keep my focus on the little I have left to go instead of looking at Peggy. But even from the little out of the corner of my eye peek I take I can tell she isn't in good condition. Her head is resting on the ground and her whole body seems to sag as the white glow around her dims. But even as her power dims the islands beyond keep growing and sprouting back up.

That's good, right? It means the ritual worked and that Tace is saved. But what about Peggy? Is she now going to die?

I reach the end of the root bridge. Instead of hopping off like I want to I slid down the roots and land on both of my feet before taking off towards her. "Peggy!" I cry.

She doesn't look up. But a twitch in her stillness makes me believe she heard me.

I skid to a stop as I stand above her crumpled form. Dust rises around me as I fall. Not bad dust, like the kind you'd find when something crumbles and dies but the kind where the ground is alive with health.

I place my hands on Peggy's shoulders. Should I shake her? Or would that cause her more damage? "Peggy?" I whisper. "Hey, can you hear me?"

"Ma...gg...ie."

I sigh in relief. My shoulders slump as it feels like somethings been lifted off of them. She's alive. "How are you doing?"

"We...ak."

I rub her back. "It'll be okay. You'll be okay. Healing Tace just took a lot out of you." At least that's what I'm telling myself, so I'm hoping she'll believe it too.

She moves her head to the side so she's looking at me. Never have I ever seen her brown eyes look so exhausted. The golden flecks that had dotted her pupils are now gone. And the brightness that used to shine in them has been wiped clean. Part of my heart breaks at the sight of it.

I pull her head into my lap and help her move so she no longer faces the ground. I part her pink hair away from her face like curtains. "You're okay. You did it. You saved Tace."

She nods but there's no joy or pride in her face.

I take a deep breath. She's exhausted and just needs to rest. The best way to provide her with that would be to get her into a bed. But, how can we do that when it's near impossible to pass over to the other island. I don't think I'm strong enough to carry her over.

"Mattie!"

My head whips up at the sound of my name. The sight I see almost makes me cry out. Om and Cam are racing across the root bridge. I look down at Peggy, my eyes wide and tears filling them. "Help's on the way," I tell her.

She manages a weak smile. Some of the light returning to her eyes.

When I look back up Om and Cam are almost right on us.

"How is she?" Om asks, skidding to a stop beside me.

"She's hanging on." Barely.

"We need to get her somewhere where she can rest."

I nod. "How are we supposed to move her safely though?" I don't want to voice it but I don't think the three of us are strong enough to carry her. Especially across the root bridge.