Chapter 27

Za unhooks a key ring from his pockets before walking over to Peggy's cell and unlocking the door.

"There is a ritual that we will need to perform as you are healing Tace. It'll strengthen my bond and hopefully make it easier for all of us."

"And what does this ritual involve?" Peggy asks as she eyes the now open cell door.

Za steps backwards. "The ritual involves someone who currently has a connection to Tace. Even a small one." He holds his thumb and finger up to demonstrate how small.

I look around. "But who would that..." It dawns on me as I look at Om.

"What?" they ask as everyone's eyes settle on them.

"You have a connection to Tace," Cam says.

Om shakes their head. "Not the kind that matters."

Za clears his throat. "It's the only connection that matters."

"What do you mean?" Om asks.

"The reason Tace didn't die earlier and is dying slowly is because you're still connected with it. If you hadn't been born with the connection we wouldn't be here right now."

Om squints their eyes. "How did you know I was born with this connection?"

Za's eyes widen as his face goes white. "I- I um, I just-"

Om takes a step closer to him. There seems to be daggers being shot out of their eyes. "How do you know so much about me?"

Za ducks is head.

"What aren't you telling us?" I ask. I take a step closer towards him. My head is low as I watch him, readying for him to run on us.

"Tell us the truth," Om says.

Za sighs and runs a hand through his hair, slicking back the wild black strands. "I was there when you were born."

My eyes widen. A collective gasp echoes throughout the room.

"You couldn't have been," Om says like they know it as a fact.

Za nods. "I was though. When you were born and the first sound you made was a cry Tace instantly went to you and tried to calm you."

Om shakes their head. "You're lying."

Za shakes his head. "I'm not."

"But how- no. Why were you there?" Cam asks.

Om backs up into him and Cam holds onto Om's shoulder. Om leans into him.

Za stares at Om, a pleading look on his face. His eyes almost bugging out as if he's trying to convince Om just by the emotion on his face. "Because my mother was giving birth to my sibling."

Om's eyes widen. They lean farther on Cam as it looks like their whole body trembles. I stood frozen, unsure if I should run to them and comfort Om.

"You're lying!" Om shouts.

Za shakes his head. "I wouldn't lie about this."

Peggy scoffs. "How do we know that?"

Za whips around to her. "I wouldn't lie about the only family I have left!" he roars.

Peggy's eyes widen and fear seems to creep back into them. This is the man that she has feared since she's been here.

Za takes a deep breath and runs his hands through his hair. "I'm sorry. It's just..." He looks at Om with a sort of longing look. "I wasn't sure if I'd ever see you again and you not believing me about this is making it harder."